How many shows a year?

Help Support CattleToday:

We go to five or six shows a year. I usually show three heifers and a steer. For county and state a cow/calf pair is added to my line up. Then my cousin shows, and that brings our 'showstring' to about 9, plus a cow/calf for county/state fair. One year we had 18 animals at county fair. But that was when my older cousins were still showing. Anyway, we usually only bring 5 or six to a show, and leave the rest at home. Except county fair, then everything we have comes along.

well we go about 30 cattle/ hogs shows. we usually take about 11 claves to the jackpots and then about 30 hogs to each show. The most cattle we have had in you show string was 37. we had cusins and sisters and brothers . and then for the fairs, i also take 3 cow calf pairs and a pen of feeders calves, and then a couple of commercial heifers

well we go about 30 cattle/ hogs shows. we usually take about 11 claves to the jackpots and then about 30 hogs to each show. The most cattle we have had in you show string was 37. we had cusins and sisters and brothers . and then for the fairs, i also take 3 cow calf pairs and a pen of feeders calves, and then a couple of commercial heifers

Moocow11":3nl75jul said:

i dont think i could handle 30 hogs even with family and friends

How do you show that many?

i show in 15 shows a year (probably more) i will probably have 4 heifers and a steer this fall maybe more

that is just how many we take we still have more at here we have a total of 41 hogs this year.we have a 20 foot double deck goose neck hog trailer that we use to haull them their and then 3 show boxes in the nose of the trailer and a bunch of hog boards. it aint easy but when you make a livin out of it you get used to it

We will show at least once a month through Sept. We've shown 7 times in 2007. We'll bring 2-5 to a show.

Moocow11":3jb0vkyu said:

Do you fit all those cattle or just wash and go?

Yes we fit almost all the cattle except the one we dont get around for. we just go and spot wash and then mist them the dry them all forward. and then those are ok to go in the ring but we can make them a lot better and then we fit them in order from the ones who go in first to last. we have quite a few people working on them

We do anything from 4-20 shows per year. And this year we're taking 7 animals(including a calf at foot) to each show.

We do about 15-20 shows a year. We take between 2 and 7 heifer, a steer, 1 or 2 bulls, and a cow/calf (thats just to county though). One year we showed with my cousins (i was only 7) and we had 20 head in the combined show strings. There was no way we could get them all fit. We showed in one breed show though (shorthorns) so I guess it would be pretty much impossible with about 15 heifers, 2 bulls, and 3 steers(all of them did get fit haha) all in the same breed.

We do around about 10 - 15 shows. Three are big shows (1 - 2 weeks) and the rest are between 1 and 3 days. Number of head varies pretty drastically, but generally around 5 - 10. Looks like we will have 8 and a half for the spring show circuit. International Dairy Week is the biggest for me and we generally have 50 - 60 head of sale cattle to look after. Goat numbers are unpredictable - we entered 15 for sydney this year and ended up only taking 6!

TheBullLady":givh6isd said:
Everyone that responded is a junior, correct?

How many of you show in open shows? Any "old" folks like me? :roll:

No, I'm not a junior :D , I'm around kids all the time and occasionally act like one. My two kids do the showing now and I'm jealous, I love to show and still do somewhat. We show in the sanctioned junior show circuit, various local open shows, and the state fair.

TheBullLady":1q0mblpr said:

Pretty much all of the shows are open shows here, apart from a select few Junior shows. Regional shows are all open though. Not sure if that counts :)

TheBullLady":3lc9y1cc said:

All our shows are Open, even the Youth shows are considered Open and not apart of the Junior shows. We hit 12 or so shows this year, give or take a couple. Thats about average for us, atleast 8 shows a year, and the most we've done is probably 22 or so. Usually haul 10 - 12 animals to a show, randomly we'll take upwards of 17 (just me and my dad for the most part)...if i get real lucky we'll only take like 8 or 9 to a show. I'm not exactly "old", but i can't show in the youth (i'm 23), my dad who's in his late 40's still goes to nearly all the shows.