how many have?

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
brought a new born calf in to the house next to the wood stove?
had a cow have twins, is only taking one. the other is weak trying to do all i can for him tonight.
having trouble geting any milk in him.
he looks a lot better now than he did when i found him.

No calves yet but it's untelling how many lambs has been by the wood stove or in the floor board of the truck to get warmed up.

Floor board works good if you can get enough junk cleaned out to get a calf in there. If your truck looks like mine it might be easier to just bring the calf in the house.

Yep, we've had them in the house.. Now we've moved our calving season back a month and they usually do OK outside on their own.. the nastiest weather is usually gone by mid march here.
Among other things, we've raised 2 pet woodpeckers (flickers), and a towhee (little seed eater a bit bigger than a finch).. all 3 have successfully returned to the wild.

Hillbilly... Yep, same here!... My muddy gave me a subwoofer for my truck... can't say no, but darn it, now I have to clean out behind the back of the seat!!

Living in Florida we haven't had to bring them into the house but we are bottle feeding a twin right now. Last cow to calve for the season had twin heifers and I guess she is a union cow because she just wouldn't take the first one bonded really well with number two. We have # 1 in the barn behind the house so far so good. About 15 years ago I was going through my mid life crisis so I traded my explorer in for a convertible I was checking cows at the farm (8 miles from the house) and found a dead cow with a new born live calf. That was when I got over my mid life crisis had to get the piggin string out tie the calf put the top down where I could get the dang calf in the back seat and hauled it home where I could get some colostrum into it. Wasn't long till I traded for another SUV, a convert able just doesn't fit the lifestyle but it was sure fun to drive.

Did you get colostrum into the calf your doctoring? I hope you have good luck with it.

Gizmom

yes i got colostrum in the calf. i hope soon enough. im amazed its still alive. dont know how long it was born before it was found. it just was alive when found. sofar it is doing good. started giving a little calf starter today.

I have never had to bring one in, but if necessary I would. I hope yours continues to do well. I do not like to have calves coming in this cold weather, but I have a few more coming this month and in February. Hope this cold weather will not last much longer here in Middle GA. We have been extremely cold for the last two days.

Latest posts