How many cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

NORTH FLORIDA

Reaction score
How many cows can i put on four acres? Also, I've never had cattle and my son wants a few. What's the best buy pairs,steers,heifers,registered? please help

Four acres is almost too small. IF the four acres is all in lush grass, they aren't sharing the paddock with a couple of horses or something and you soil test and fertilize regularly; I would try two pairs and a bull (if you can't AI). AI would save you considerable cost though given your scarcity of land. Those of us with 50 cows or more don't like to buy supplemental feed a lot; but most of us don't have your stocking rate either so I would keep a couple of feed sacks handy for when the cows get ahead of the grass during winter, the hottest part of the summer, or a drought in any time of the year. Commercial prices are so high right now and you are only buying TWO pairs so I would pay more and buy registered cows. YOu probably are NOT going to make money on two head most years either way so I would rather have cows I can brag about living next to my house instead of somebody else's culls and you always have the potential to sell your TWO calfs a year for a premium in the classifieds. I would just have fun with my cows and my kids and enjoy my life.

Thanks, I've read alot of your post and think your very smart with cattle. What kind of summer and winter grass would you suggest for heavy graze? Also my son will soon be in FFA and will probally want to show cattle. He loves longhorns, do they show well?

I would talk with someone in Florida extension about species and varieties adapted to your specific climate and soil type. I don't get to Florida much; but I know you are too far south for Fescue to be worth planting. Probably bahiagrass or one of the improved bermudagrasses and then drill in rye, ryegrass, and clover in the fall if you can rent a drill from one of the coops. I don't like Longhorns personally, outside of the roping ring; BUT they are a good choice for your 4 acres. They are generally smaller than the typical cow so would put a little less grazing pressure on your ground. I have certainly seen Longhorns shown regularly. Though I confess to owning a Longhorn heifer bull once; I have never halter broke one. There are a couple of Longhorn breeders on these boards who would know more about Longhorn shows. I would get my grass and fences right and take my time making a decision on which breed of cattle I was going to show. You might want to talk with your FFA advisor about his recommendations.

I would try to overseed ryegrass and oats for winter pasture and if the land is not preplanted with a type of bahia grass (Argentine or Pensacola) I would plant Tift 9.
I would not personally pick Longhorns they tend to take a discount in the auctions around here. You want to try to break even I would assume. Pick a good english breed (Hereford, Angus), maybe breed the other one to it.
As far as showing cattle it is hard to beat a Hereford for those just starting out, they tend to be very gentle.