How many cattle can be ran on 60 acres with ok grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

manaftergodsheart413

Reaction score
I was just wondering how many head of cattle I could possibly put on 60 acres located in central texas with mostly native grasss but there is some coastal and bermuda

They say 1 cow needs 3 acres, but i have heard that in some of the real rangeland as many as 30 acres for 1 cow.

I would think 15-20 head should do the job.

I can run 1 cow and 1 calf per acre here in north Alabama. Some places are 30 acres per cow. Best thing to do is talk to your neighbors as this changes drastically from location to location.

On Native grass your stocking rate is going to go down quite a bit. Im guessing you are going to need somwhere between five to ten acres.

PS: Coastal is Bermuda. Its like saying there are some granny smith apple trees and apple trees. :lol:

You just asked the million dollar question. I used to think I knew, but these last two years have made me rethink things a bit and now I'm just dizzy with uncertainty. Other than talking to local folks or extension, I don't think there is any good answer. Just too many variables. Too many things you can't control.

manaftergodsheart413":qd7l6ecz said:
I was just wondering how many head of cattle I could possibly put on 60 acres located in central texas with mostly native grasss but there is some coastal and bermuda
What shape is the ground, fences and buildings?

Water?

Cash available for improvements?

How much feed you planning on buying?

None? -Then you better plan on not too many.

Lots? Then buy as many as can stand on the ground.

The question as asked does not allow anyone to supply a decent answer.

It is much like asking - how much water can I put in my cup?

We need to know a bit more about the cup.

So, details please.

Bez>

10 Cows one Bull to get started on bringing in some income.

Fence off 10 acres for a hay patch and split the other 50 in half. Don't over graze now. Work on getting what you have established and maybe plant a little more. Then when you have a good grass established on the whole place you can look at raising your numbers.

IF you go and put too many head on right now you will shoot yourself in the foot before you have started. Just my opinion.

3MR":45ik8qub said:
On Native grass your stocking rate is going to go down quite a bit.

I suspect that the validity of your statement is going to depend on the type of native grass in question.

msscamp":1lfvvwbt said:
3MR":1lfvvwbt said:

I suspect that the validity of your statement is going to depend on the type of native grass in question.

Not really, I think you are always going to have a lower stocking rate with native compared to improved. Its just a fact of life. Improved pastures grow more grass. Thats why they were improved.

Maybe a native pasture in one area might support as much as improved in another area; but I still bet the good native pasture would still support more head in its area if it was improved.

manaftergodsheart413":3t7s1mv7 said:

Mother nature will show you how many head of cattle you can run,twice as many this year as last and a third as many the year before...............good luck

manaftergodsheart413":2lio4jjb said:

How long is a string?
You are the only person that can answer that. After last years drought forage production may have dwindled. Weeds may be abundant. I have seen 100 acre pastures that would hardly support anything. My suggestion would be to stock gradually untill you feel you are below your limit by maybe 10 head. From there buy a few stockers that you know you are going to sell. This will also cut down on your winter feed bill. Always be prepared for the next drought.

Seriously manaftergodsheart413,if you cannot call a neighbor,call the county extension agent and ask the average stocking rate for your county,or just go to the local feed store,there is an awful lot of variations place to place,year to year.........start slow & good luck

3MR":21n8w9c3 said:
msscamp":21n8w9c3 said:
3MR":21n8w9c3 said:

Not really, I think you are always going to have a lower stocking rate with native compared to improved. Its just a fact of life.

I disagree. Native grasses are native for a reason - that reason being they are acclimated to a particular regions climate, rainfall patterns, soil conditions, and other factors. One does not need to spend a small fortune amending the soil, fertilizing, and doing other things to get the grass to grow. They can usually also handle drought better(with proper management, of course), with fewer problems than the improved grasses can. If you were to look at some of pastures here, you would probably question whether there was even grass in those pastures. There is. It's native, it's good, it doesn't require yearly fertilization, and the cattle come off it fat and sassy.

Improved pastures grow more grass. Thats why they were improved.

If they are not able to thrive in a particular region, then it really doesn't matter how much grass they grow, does it?

msscamp":34m4wylv said:
3MR":34m4wylv said:
msscamp":34m4wylv said:
3MR":34m4wylv said:

Not really, I think you are always going to have a lower stocking rate with native compared to improved. Its just a fact of life.

I disagree. Native grasses are native for a reason - that reason being they are acclimated to a particular regions climate, rainfall patterns, soil conditions, and other factors. One does not need to spend a small fortune amending the soil, fertilizing, and doing other things to get the grass to grow. They can usually also handle drought better(with proper management, of course), with fewer problems than the improved grasses can. If you were to look at some of pastures here, you would probably question whether there was even grass in those pastures. There is. It's native, it's good, it doesn't require yearly fertilization, and the cattle come off it fat and sassy.

Improved pastures grow more grass. Thats why they were improved.

If they are not able to thrive in a particular region, then it really doesn't matter how much grass they grow, does it?

Why would you even be talking about a grass that wouldn't grow in a region? Of coarse any grass that grows in better than a grass that won't... :eek:

I am not aware of a region that does not have atleast one improved grass you can plant over the native stuff.

Angus/Brangus":3kut2gvd said:
Native grasses are not necessarily better. If they were then they would dominate ranches everywhere! They don't because there are often more nutritional grasses that will grow nicely in the same area. To believe that native grasses will always be there without mantenance is grossly incorrect. All grasses need attention to maintain vigor and nutrition. That being said, why would you want to invest in a native grass that is cr@p, nutritionally, when there are other grasses that will give you more bang for the buck?

I don't recall saying they were. But, by the same token, I also don't believe that all of the 'improved' grasses are automatically better than native simply because they are new and improved - they come with a price, and not everyone has the means to pay that price. I also agree 100% that some native grasses aren't worth the soil it takes to grow them, but that doesn't mean they all are. My only point is that there are native grasses that can get the job done, and they do not necessarily mean an automatic reduction in stocking rate.

Latest posts