How long will corn gluten stay good

Help Support CattleToday:

RAWCJW

Reaction score
I can get corn gluten pellets mixed with corn bagged 13%. But you have to buy a ton at a time. Would it stay good in a shed for 3-4 months? If so it would save me around $ 30.00 ton over what I,m doing now.

As long as you keep the moisture out it will stay good for that long. We store ours in a feed hopper deal and it holds for 6-9 months without a problem

dun

Thanks dun does it make pretty good feed? How much per head do you usually feed?My pastures are pretty bad I was thinking 1-1 1/2 lbs a day?

That's a good amount to start with then adjust up or down from there. It is low in somthing, don;t recall just what, might be calcium or phosphorus. It will give them the squirts and some cows just don;t like it. We have had palatability issues with it in the past. If it was more then about 50% of wehatever we fed it in we had one cow that wouldn;t touch it andothers that would only eat it very sparingly. The reason for the 50% number is the only way we fed it was either in a mix that it constituted 50% of or we fed it straight.

dun

Low in Calcium-- but if you are only feeding a lb or two your regular minerals should adjust for it-- any more and beef the minerals up with limestone.

The mix Iwas figuring on getting was 50% ground corn that comes out to about 13% protein I haven't ever fed any of it. Right now I am mixing all natural 36% protein and ground corn. But the all natural is expensive. How do you know how much calcium they need. I am using Kent a,d,e mineral.

I add 7-8 lbs of limestone to a bag of minerals when I am just feeding a lb or two of CGF/animal.
At that level it doesn't seem to disrupt consumption.

Feed any more and I wouldn't trust free consumption methods(ie in minerals)- as it becomes more critical to get it right.

As refference it takes around 35lbs of limestone to balance the calcium:phos ratio on a ton of 50/50 mix of corn&CGF.

Latest posts