How long to wean the calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

Mongotrout

Reaction score
I have a first calf heifer and her heifer calf is ready to wean. How long before I can put the two of them back in the same pasture together? Basically, how long does the weaning process take? If the cow dries up will she start lactating again if the calf is put back with her and tries to nurse? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks! Chuck

I'd give the calf a few months at least. The sooner it learns to forage and eat feed on it's own the sooner it will forget those teats.

The cow will start lactating only when she has another calf.

If you have a bull in the pasture I would keep her out until she's 15 months old , but if not a couple months or so should be enough.

I'd keep them apart at LEAST eight weeks. And then let them share a fence line for a week or so, if they haven't before. Folks have quoted 6 weeks as an acceptable separation time...but I've had calves that had been in the pasture with just one nurse cow, go back to nursing after being separated for eight weeks. Even had/have some that still bawl when they see that cow...after four MONTHS! :shock: Only recently let them back in the same pasture with her, and I was holding my breath. Still not entirely certain they haven't nursed along with the four this cow has now.

It's the downside of having only one cow - the calves never get kicked away by other cows and learn some manners. IMO it makes them a lot harder to wean.

We had a heifer calf apart from mom for over 3 months and when we put her back in the pasture they were fine... until her mom started bagging up to deliver her next calf... and she ran back over and tried to nurse!

If you have a bull, keep her out until she's at least 13 months old so she doesn't get bred too early.

You will hear all kinds of different opinions on this one. Every animal is different.
If you have the facility to keep them apart for 2 weeks or 2 months, why not keep them seperated until she is bred or ready to breed.
IF you put them back together & she/he goes back to sucking, than you may NEVER get that calf weaned. If it aggressively sucks the cow, yes she can get her to come to milk - a sucking calf can get a heifer that has never calved come to milk. And even if they don't come to milk, the chance of mastitis is very great.
Also, if the calf is sneaking a little suck (which you may NEVER know), when the cow bags up for her next calf, the yearling will suck out all her colostrom & the newborn will not have it.
Too many "ifs" if you put them together too soon (and what's too soon). I keep them apart until they are bred. I've never had a problem with that program.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2xp40xp0 said:
You will hear all kinds of different opinions on this one. Every animal is different.
If you have the facility to keep them apart for 2 weeks or 2 months, why not keep them seperated until she is bred or ready to breed.............. I keep them apart until they are bred. I've never had a problem with that program.

I agree with that. Tried it, done it, learned the hard way. If you don't have the facilities, perhaps you can trade with someone for a similar heifer calf.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":qi3rl1wy said:
If you have the facility to keep them apart for 2 weeks or 2 months, why not keep them seperated until she is bred or ready to breed.
IF you put them back together & she/he goes back to sucking, than you may NEVER get that calf weaned. If it aggressively sucks the cow, yes she can get her to come to milk - a sucking calf can get a heifer that has never calved come to milk. And even if they don't come to milk, the chance of mastitis is very great.
Also, if the calf is sneaking a little suck (which you may NEVER know), when the cow bags up for her next calf, the yearling will suck out all her colostrom & the newborn will not have it.
Too many "ifs" if you put them together too soon (and what's too soon). I keep them apart until they are bred. I've never had a problem with that program.

Good reply one more thing I have seperate pastures for my yearling heifers so they never go back with the cows till the following fall 10 to 12 months later.

Latest posts