How long to get over a virus?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I'm wondering how long it takes you guys personally to get over a virus that causes fever, etc?

I'm wondering if getting older ups the recovery period. I read that 7-10 days is the usual.

I've been kinda yucky since last Saturday night. For a coupe of days, I felt yucky during the day too, but then I would feel ok during the day, but fever would return at night. which it still is. I did go to the doctor. He did all the tests and said it was a virus, and to just wade it out and take something if the fever made me feel uncomfortable.

Here's the thing, I'm 46, and in years past, I didn't get sick often, but when i did, I could have fever like I was lying on a stove, and whatever else went with it, and it would only last in full-force for about a day. I would just go crawl in bed, lie there and moan, groan, ache, cough, and feel like i wanted to jump in front of a truck, but it only lasted about a day. There was always what i called, "the day after," where i felt drain and not like doing a lot, but that was it.

I'm not accustomed to these viruses that drag out. I'm also not accustomed to feeling ok a while and then yucky again. Before, if i ever felt the least bit better, I knew that virus was about to get his tail whipped. And the thing is, there is really no medication for a virus, just the usual, "drink plenty of liquids and tylenol for fever."

I'm not asking for a diagnosis, I've already been to the doctor, but just wondering if the flu and other viruses stay with you guys a while; I'm not accustomed to these lingering days of yuck.

There was a virus around this area last year that would take a month or more to get to the point you could feel you were well again.

duns right the virus that are around now take time to get over them.plus they last longer than the 1 or 2 virus that we are used to.all though i had a stomach virus that lasted for a year.i could eat anything i wanted but 30 mins or so after after i got done eating it would come back up.then it finally went away.didnt matter what i ate it would do that.

7-10 days is typical, but a long lasting high grade fever is something to watch carefully.
If you have a high grade fever for more than a week consult your Dr again. If it's low grade, but lasts more than 10 days, consult Dr.
There have been some nasty bugs going about and the symptoms can sometimes take a while to get over, but a fever is indicative of the body still combating something, and even with viruses there are occasions of secondary infections that can be bacterial.

About a week for me but if its a stomach virus I nip it in the bud right fast by drinking castor oil. Yes its gross and is about the vilest thing known to man but apparently stomach viruses can't stand it either and will take the white water rafting trip out of your body in just a few hours. What I do is take a Collins glass and fill with castor oil and top the last two inches off with orange juice then take a spoonful of baking soda and stir this in the concoction real fast then hold your nose and drink it as fast as possible. Granted it is vile stuff but I can't afford to be sick and it is very effective.

Hope you get feeling better.

If you go and see a doctor it takes 14 days, otherwise it will take two weeks.

It all depends on the type of virus, your bodies immune system, and if you have any antibodies already built up to combat the replication process.
Every virus, and every person, can be different. Granted there are certain viruses that act simular, with many people, but still too many variables.
There are antiviral drugs that help halt viral replication, but need to be started at the very first sign of symptoms to be effective.

There has been one going around here.. my friend and my neighbor's son (live MILES apart) both got it on the same day (last friday).. My friend said on Saturday he felt miserable.. he said breathing was like breathing fire, and drinking water was like drinking hot sauce.. just couldn't move or do a thing.. He called me on sunday and was still feeling it, but wasn't too bad anymore (He's 56) I've had some that were miserable and over quick, and some that weren't too terrible but just couldn't shake them.. I think it's a whole lot to do with the virus.

I'm like Denvermartin.. I don't start at 100%!

Nesikep":1g64so7z said:
I've had some that were miserable and over quick, and some that weren't too terrible but just couldn't shake them.. I think it's a whole lot to do with the virus.

I can relate. This one isn't the most miserable one I've ever had, but it lingering makes it really annoying, and feeling ok during the day experiencing a return of fever at night made it more annoying.

Last night was my first normal night of no fever since it all started. I hope this means it's over, but still in the back of my mind, I'm wondering if it will creep back in.

It takes longer these days to get over a virus. If it is a viral infection, antibiotics will not work. Many bacterial infections are resistant to antibiotics now. Since no new antibiotics are being made, we are facing some trying times.
I have noticed in the last year or two that it takes twice as long to get over a virus than it used to, and it is not because we are getting older. It is happening with children and young adults, too.
Surely hope you will continue to improve. Try to take it easy until you can get your strength back.

I always thought I had the flu when I had some kind of virus over the years. I would have something that would run it's course over about 5 days where I would run a fever and about all you can do is sleep it off. I would take something that would help me sleep and drink something that didn't tasted offensive, such as a Coke. I think I would take some Alka-Seltzer Plus, about 3 tablets, and mix some Tang in a glass, and it would let me sleep.
One time many years ago, I had a virus when I was working and my throat was on fire. It hurt so bad that I had some frozen Margarita mix in the freezer, and I would get a cup of it each time I woke up and take an Alka-Seltzer Plus. The combination of the two would put me to sleep. The frozen Margarita would freeze my throat to where it didn't hurt.

Then I got the real flu a couple of years ago. I had it for two weeks and I got so sick that I could see why a unhealthy person would die from it. I had fluid coming from out both ends constantly, and was crawling to the bathroom as I was so weak. I was not making during the crawl. I was too sick to wake up my husband and to think clearly. I must have been running a high fever. I remember getting to the bathroom floor and laying down and thinking that this is what it must have felt before you died at a concentration camp in Germany. For some reason, when things get rough, I think about being in a concentration camp. Or if I get scared, I think about people being in war, and tell myself that they had it a lot worse, so get a grip. Silly, I know.
It took me a long time to get over the flu.
You will get over the virus. Get a blanket when you can move, and get in the recliner with a blanket, try to watch some TV and fall asleep with a cold glass of tea or something. Just baby yourself and don't feel guilty about it.
You know when you are running fever because it hurts when your kidneys fill up. Fever makes that area hurt.

There is something going around (you are in KY too). I think I have about the same thing you are talking about. It is probably not an age issue. In fact, if you are healthy at 46 your immune system should be well greased.

I think humans think more on some things as they get older. Getting sick is one of those things. Mom is 91. She is totally preoccupied with getting sick. She gets a stomach virus and the first thing she says is, " I have never felt like this in my life."

A virulent organism is said to only last 10 days but it can run you down and you may not feel at your peak for weeks. Drink tons of fluid. Personally, if it is a virus, I don't think any drug does much for these commonly transmitted virulent viruses.

Chuckie, everyone seems to think they got the flu when they catch a cold virus. Like you say, the real flu can knock your socks off. I think I have only had real flu a couple times in my 64 years. Even your sore through was probably not the flu.

Thanks for all the replies. I just had my second night of no fever, so hopefully it's gone. I'd just never had anything like it before, and hope i never do again. Going to the doctor this time reaffirms why I stopped going to the doctor with this kind of stuff. I remember when i was a kid and get these flu-like symptoms; the doc would always say, "It's a virus, drink plenty of liquids and get plenty of rest." I got to the point that I just lied around and let it runs it's course.

i had a respiratory virus one summer that lasted well over a month, it was terrible, cough cough cough-when it went away it did take another week or more for me to get totally better-

Yes, I did have the flu that one time. It took me several weeks to get over it completely. For two weeks it was extremely intense then for about another week it was like a virus. I lost a lot of weight. Very high fever and fluids coming out both ends at the same time for two weeks. Extreme aches from high fever as your joints and insides can't handle the fever. Coughing, sore throat, nasal congestion. It leaves you in a mess after the three weeks as well. I am not sure why you would not think I had the flu.