How Long to Fully Weaned?

Help Support CattleToday:

MichaelB

Reaction score
I weaned the Tarentaise steer on Sunday at about 6 1/2 months. He is locked in a stall with his buddy the Donk next door, and momma can come up periodically so they may touch noses. But now momma is getting more interested in the grass in the front pasture and calls less frequently.

I have a small place so usually I wean and a month later the calf is sold. This calf, however, will likely find a new home in my freezer next fall.

This could become a management issue because I have limited space in the barn and paddocks to keep the calf separated for a very long time. About how long will it be before I can let junior share quarters again with his mom (she was bred back in July) and my other cow? I think it would be about 3 months, but I don't know.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

We keep or weaned retained heifers sperate ofr about 45 days then turn them back out with the bred cows. Only had one issue 7-8 years ago when one of them started sucking again but that wasn;t until she was bred.

Thanks, Dun, I always appreciate your opinion. The end of the grazing season/beginning of round bale season begins Thanksgiving weekend for me, so he should be more than safe when I have to put him back with his mom.

Michael

Just for reference, the Tarentaise steer and his momma were rejoined when I put everyone in the winter paddock by the barn. They were apart from early September to late November, and she had dried off sufficiently so that he does not try to nurse her any longer.

However, in mid-October they were rejoined briefly due to a gate being left open and he was doing his best to stimulate milk production.

Your mileage may vary, but I will use a 3 month separation for my baseline before rejoining the calf to the rest of the herd.

Latest posts