How long to achive ideal weight

Help Support CattleToday:

AllForage":1t5e0jux said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1t5e0jux said:
AllForage, do you feed hay or are you like Agmantoo and doing it all on grass?

I live in WI, given enough land, the best winter annuals still would not hold up. Our spring just comes too late. I do market grass fed, but I have to feed in winter. You can bet if I lived 2 states south or so that would be my primary goal. Money wise it is more important than any color breed or calving scheme.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Assuming two calves, one delivered September 1 and another October 31, calves go to market April 1 and birth weight of each at 80#. The oldest calf will have 212 days of growth while the youngest will have 152 days (counting day of birth). Getting either calf to 600# requires 520# of growth and to 700# requires 620#.

The September 1 calf will need to grow 2.5# a day to reach 600# by April 1 and 2.9# a day to reach 700# by April 1. The October 31 calf on the other hand would need to put on 3.4# a day to make the 600# mark and 4# a day for the 700# mark.

(The math - correct any mistakes please: 700 - 80 = 620; 600 - 80 = 520; 620/212= 2.92; 620/152=4.07; 520/212=2.46; 520/152=3.42)

If you're not supplementing, then your stockpiled fescue and hay will have to support through milk production and/or direct intake, these kinds of growth rates and keep the cows in proper condition to breed back successfully. If any of these are first calf heifers, your forage will need to support their own growth and not just maintenance. You might want to get some analysis on the nutritional value of both the fescue and the hay.

Achieving the upper end of those growth rates (worst case) on straight forage would surely be difficult as many feedlots don't achieve those kind of gains when fattening cattle on grain. The lower rates (best case) may be achievable. But every two weeks delay in calving adds another .2 pound gain per day requirement. My pastures and hay would not support those growth rates. You and others may get those gains on grass, I just know I wouldn't.

Things you might consider are how many calves will deliver early in September and how many later in the two month window? Are the mothers Cows or Heifers? Are the mothers good milk producers or just average? Whats the nutritional value of the grass and hay?

Best of luck.

Thank you for the very informative response. I will be introducing 7 first time heifers into the breeding herd in sept, with about 10 mature cows. They are average milkers, but i do not know about the heifers ability yet. It will be unlikely that i will be suplimenting with feed grain. If it comes down to trying to achive the desired weight, then i can wait to market them in may. It is only a .10 average diference in price so the extra weight theyll achieve in an extra month will offset the reduced price. As for my forages i am doing what i can to to achive good nutrition value in my fescue hay by cutting before seedhead formation, making sure theres adequate fertilizer for optimum growth and making sure it has good protien comtent and good level of TDN. But theres always things i can do better to acheive my goals and have a more profitable operation that im learning and trying to implement as i go. Thank you all again for your advice

luke03cr":2wlk5is7 said:
Thank you for the very informative response. I will be introducing 7 first time heifers into the breeding herd in sept, with about 10 mature cows. They are average milkers, but i do not know about the heifers ability yet. It will be unlikely that i will be suplimenting with feed grain. If it comes down to trying to achive the desired weight, then i can wait to market them in may. It is only a .10 average diference in price so the extra weight theyll achieve in an extra month will offset the reduced price. As for my forages i am doing what i can to to achive good nutrition value in my fescue hay by cutting before seedhead formation, making sure theres adequate fertilizer for optimum growth and making sure it has good protien comtent and good level of TDN. But theres always things i can do better to acheive my goals and have a more profitable operation that im learning and trying to implement as i go. Thank you all again for your advice

What are the levels ?

I try and shoot for protien levels of atleast 10 and a TDN of 55 and higher. To maintain these numbers and hopefully increseing them i will be planting a clover mixture into my hay and grazing pastures.

luke03cr":2d6y5h5s said:
I try and shoot for protien levels of atleast 10 and a TDN of 55 and higher. To maintain these numbers and hopefully increseing them i will be planting a clover mixture into my hay and grazing pastures.

Without added protein it's going to be tough.
Your cows may lose condition and milk production may suffer, but it still depends a lot on the cow, some defy the odd's.
Clover could make it work.

Latest posts