How long is semen good for?

Help Support CattleToday:

glacierridge

Reaction score
Recently I was chatting with a friend about some semen on some "retro" bulls that I found and ordered.
He asked me if semen looses potency over time.
As far as I know, it's good as long as it is taken care of with proper liquid nitrogen levels and handled correctly in general.
Here is bonus footage from retro bull Caufitime, who himself was calved in 1988
Not really relevant, but I just found this little wobbly newborn just way too adorable!!
http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/annielsie/media/VID_20130817_183510_zpsea08d711.mp4.html

That's the right answer. I once used some semen put up inthe 50s that was still good, anyway good enough that the cow settled.

glacierridge":1d158xfn said:
You get a nice calf dun?
Sometimes the retro stuff can still get you some nice calves.
Of course, just like now, depends on what the bull collected had to offer.
It was a Jersey for a 4H girl and had been put up in magic wands.

I am AI-ing with a bull born in 1967. Regardless of your breed, if you can go back to before fads and fancies messed them up, you're still money ahead by using the old stuff.

Calves on the ground this year from 1963 bull, 1971 bull, 1972 bull.
Cows palpated bred this year to a 1968 bull,1974 bull and 1976 bull.
I think the 1963 is the oldest in my tank right now. Ampules.

KNERSIE":102thzrm said:
I am AI-ing with a bull born in 1967. Regardless of your breed, if you can go back to before fads and fancies messed them up, you're still money ahead by using the old stuff.

I totally agree here. I'm a fan of the old school Simmental.
And it's a cost effective way to to get genetics that still can be relevant to today's production.
So far we are very pleased with our calves from Caufitime and Irish Black Knight.
IBK's heifers look like they will work great for us, and his MCE should be nice to make DM cross calves.
Caufitime's calves just come out ready to grow. Two sons went for butcher at 14 months, the people who bought them were very happy with the meat quality :)

but lets not forget the old bulls that have been hidden away in semen tanks for 40 or 50yrs can be very costly.esp if they was the top bull of their day an today.

bigbull338":2ojsyxye said:
but lets not forget the old bulls that have been hidden away in semen tanks for 40 or 50yrs can be very costly.esp if they was the top bull of their day an today.

:nod: Meyer 734 :nod:

To answer your original question. If youy're Bill Clinton...........................................way too long! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

BTW that was my Birthday present to myself. Hope you don't mind! :cowboy:

Latest posts