How long does it take to wean?

Help Support CattleToday:

Carnivore

Reaction score
Hi ya'all, it's been a while, all has been good with my 9 head herd. Anyway, weaned the calves about 3-4 weeks ago, and was wondering when it would be safe to put the calves back in with their moms?

We keep them apart for 6-8 weeks and haven't had any go back to nursing. Tried 4 weeks once, had a couple that started nursing again.

We wean our calves at ~205 days. Once they are weaned, they stay weaned. Bull calves are kept together. Heifer calves kept separate. If haven't sold 1 or more by time they're ~14 months breeding age, the heifers are put with one of our 3 bulls, depending on their size, etc. This way, we never have to worry about a weaned teenage...lol...calf finding the teat again... ;-)

We purchased a yearling bull and put him out with the heifers this spring. After we weaned the calves off the cows this fall, we put the bred heifers and this bull back in with cows for the winter. Looked out the other day and seen that durn bull nursing one of the cows. That bull will be 2 years old in Jan but he won't make it. :shock:

rkm":25tbj5if said:
Looked out the other day and seen that durn bull nursing one of the cows. That bull will be 2 years old in Jan but he won't make it. :shock:

Er, um, shouldn't be the other way around? I mean what was the cow sucking on? :oops:

Carnivore":2prwrv7n said:
rkm":2prwrv7n said:
Looked out the other day and seen that durn bull nursing one of the cows. That bull will be 2 years old in Jan but he won't make it. :shock:

Er, um, shouldn't be the other way around? I mean what was the cow sucking on? :oops:
I believe RKM was saying the bull was sucking/nursing on the cow, not the other way around :p

Jeanne - Simme Valley":6hcq4dcz said:
Carnivore":6hcq4dcz said:
rkm":6hcq4dcz said:

I believe RKM was saying the bull was sucking/nursing on the cow, not the other way around :p

THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU!!! :clap:

That picture has been dancing around in my head for a full day now, I didn't even sleep much last night!

I'm sorry my poor language skills caused you guys so much grief. :( :lol: :lol: This old hillbilly will try to do better.

rkm":1ccqyvbu said:
I'm sorry my poor language skills caused you guys so much grief. :( :lol: :lol: This old hillbilly will try to do better.

Acutally no grief, as I knew what you meant. Just having some fun with the English language... :)