How long do you wait before.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Gators Rule

Reaction score
I had a calf BWF calf born yesterday morning. As of late last night, mom still had afterbirth hanging out her privates. Checked her this morning, and it's still present and still dragging the ground. Mom and baby are doing great. I'm not worried and I'm not currently preparing to intervene, but how long do you wait before taking action on this type of situation? I've had it in the past take 24 to 48 hrs. Was just curious...

David

If you are close enough to tie it in a knot you might as well give her 5cc of lutalyse. this will help her clean out.

I pull them on the dairies but if they're out in the open I prefer to leave them dragging. Trot her around in a circle a few times until you see clean tissue showing and they'll usually finish on their own.
Dragging is fine. If anything the extra presure of it dragging will help pull it. The ground won't contaminate anywhere near as fast as her shi!!ing all over it will and it's pretty rare to have one suck it back inside if it's long enough to reach the ground.
Lut works great on cows that still have a problem when they're forty five plus days since calving but it isn't effective at cleaning out fresh cows. Basicly, if lut works there was already damage.

Like hook said....you can tie in a knot so it's not dragging in dirt, etc. I would wait a couple days but if she quits eating and is laying around acting sick, then I would call your vet and see what he says.

Gators Rule":oxdun77p said:
I had a calf BWF calf born yesterday morning. As of late last night, mom still had afterbirth hanging out her privates. Checked her this morning, and it's still present and still dragging the ground. Mom and baby are doing great. I'm not worried and I'm not currently preparing to intervene, but how long do you wait before taking action on this type of situation? I've had it in the past take 24 to 48 hrs. Was just curious...

David
David, if it hasn't come out on its own in 5-6 days give her a shot of lute. Otherwise I do nothing.

After 3-4 days we would run her through the chute and give it a tug and put iodine on it. After 5-6 days it's coming out or tearing apart, put iodine on it again.

highgrit":2y2s8qdq said:
After 3-4 days we would run her through the chute and give it a tug and put iodine on it. After 5-6 days it's coming out or tearing apart, put iodine on it again.
Years ago, vets would go in and "unbutton" the cardiledens (sp?) to remove the whole thing. Has been proven that there is less infection and cow cycles sooner if totally left alone. Everyone can do as they please, but it is highly recommended to let nature take care of it UNLESS cow shows signs of being sick / off feed. Then you have to intervene with antibiotics. And no, this is not the "holistic"/"natural"/"organic" approach. This is modern research (well been at least 15 years now).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":ukv05lwo said:
highgrit":ukv05lwo said:
Years ago, vets would go in and "unbutton" the cardiledens (sp?) to remove the whole thing. Has been proven that there is less infection and cow cycles sooner if totally left alone. Everyone can do as they please, but it is highly recommended to let nature take care of it UNLESS cow shows signs of being sick / off feed. Then you have to intervene with antibiotics. And no, this is not the "holistic"/"natural"/"organic" approach. This is modern research (well been at least 15 years now).

Yep, that's what our vet has been recommending for 15 years. Only had 1 cow get sick, gave an antibiotic and she ended up breeding back on time.

Latest posts