How long before she’s a bottle calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

tdc_cattle

Reaction score
Yesterday I found a new calf that was cold and near death. Got her home and warmed up and a bunch of paste stuff in her, wouldn't nurse. This morning I gave her some more of the MFA shield paste and got her to suck in a bottle. Tonight I got her to take the bottle and drank just shy of two pints. She's running around the yard jumping and playing and i thinknive convinced her she doesn't want to die.

This morning the mom was still looking for her and when I checked this evening she was still in the area that she had the calf. She's always been a good mom but it's a big calf and it was wet where she had it. Beautiful cow.

Any chance I can get her to claim it after 48 hours? Steps to get her to take it? I'd love for her mom to raise her.

If the cow hesitates with the calf in a small pen, put a dog against the outside of the pen. It helps kick in the mothering instinct.

I've used a well trained, bidable dog many times to help kick in mothering instinct but it has to be used judiciously or you run the risk of creating havoc e.g. the cow winds up injuring the calf.
It's a given if a calf requires supportive therapy post birth, both dam and calf need to brought to an area where they can easily by monitored/appropriately attended to. Good luck!!!

If the calf does not want to suck mom in a pen, do you have a chute you can put the cow in? Just get the calf sucking the bottle, then lead her to the teat with your finger. If the cow acts like she is even thinking about kicking, put a rope around her in front of the hip bones & around her bellie in front of her udder. Cinch up tight (have a loop on one end). Be careful & have a quick release. some times they could fall down. It puts pressure on a nerve, so they cannot pick up their hind legs.

Latest posts