How I started here.

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Most of you know I had some nurse cows. Brother in law saw how well I was doing with it and thought he might like to have a nurse cow. My calves were ready to cycle off so I told him if he kept the cow fed, let me put one more calf on her, her could keep her at his place. Graft some calves of his own and see how he liked it.

He decided he wanted a nurse cow. He went to the dairy sale barn. Bought himself a free martin. He didn't want me going along and did not want my help.

I finally saw the heifer and spotted the teats. Told what he had done. He had never heard the term free martin and thought I was an idiot. So the know it all came to this forum.

Some of ya'll let him down easy. Some of you told him to seek a vet. His know it all attitude got the best of him. It went back and forth until someone finally told him to stay the heck out of the sale barn if he did not know what he was doing. He got all upset and told me about you jerks in this forum.

I came and took a look. Out of the dozens of posts, everyone pretty well summed it up exactly like the situation was. Amazing. Without firsthand knowledge of him or his actions, you nailed it. He has still not taken anyone's advice and he continues to flail.

This is how I got started in this forum.

I have seen many others come in with attitudes. Similar situations. Advice is offered and their know it all attitude takes offense. People trying to help are now accused of ganging up.

It will happen again and again.

Hard lessons are generally the best learned. I learned a lot the hard way. Better off than those who never learn.

You cannot help someone who will not help themselves. I truly did not care about the recent situation until some of you were falsely accused.

I am pretty much done with it.

I started here when I purchased a small herd. I had lurked in the past when I saw something going on with my animals and got the answers I needed. I was getting conflicting information from some of the locals on vaccinations and such so I started lurking more and more.

I decided to join as this group seemed to be just like me and have the same values.
looking back I can tell that most members looked at me as probably a one hit wonder or some smart azz no it all (some still do).

I have worked hard here to try and fit in and offer sound advice on the things I know. I'm not delusional and think that what I say is the gospel but I feel I have earned the respect of a few. Those few I do have personnel conversations with them a they are Excellent individuals that I would defend them because even tho we have not met They are my friends.

I use this forum everyday to keep me grounded. No where else can I find the diversity and like mindedness in a rural setting. The experts here truly deserve respect not because the come off and gang leader or mean but because they truly have the posters best interest in mind when they reply to the question or problem.

I have buttons that are pushed and I have argued with some and I can be down right obnoxious at times. we all have our faults but at the end of the day all we really want is to gain more knowledge and maybe have a laugh or two.

Great post BHB and a good thread.

TennesseeTuxedo":1f565krk said:
If you are still mad at me over my crack about your FSU avatar I apologize. Please put something in the box 'cause I really miss seeing something next to your name.

I tried to attach a funny looking duck like you had and it Deleted the "2014 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS" avatar I had.

Go Noles!

M5farm":1qgq8zrm said:
I started here when I purchased a small herd. I had lurked in the past when I saw something going on with my animals and got the answers I needed. I was getting conflicting information from some of the locals on vaccinations and such so I started lurking more and more.

I decided to join as this group seemed to be just like me and have the same values.
looking back I can tell that most members looked at me as probably a one hit wonder or some smart azz no it all (some still do).

I have worked hard here to try and fit in and offer sound advice on the things I know. I'm not delusional and think that what I say is the gospel but I feel I have earned the respect of a few. Those few I do have personnel conversations with them a they are Excellent individuals that I would defend them because even tho we have not met They are my friends.

I use this forum everyday to keep me grounded. No where else can I find the diversity and like mindedness in a rural setting. The experts here truly deserve respect not because the come off and gang leader or mean but because they truly have the posters best interest in mind when they reply to the question or problem.

I have buttons that are pushed and I have argued with some and I can be down right obnoxious at times. we all have our faults but at the end of the day all we really want is to gain more knowledge and maybe have a laugh or two.

Great post BHB and a good thread.

I am not sure any of us "FIT IN".

Macon didn't ban me long ago. I take that as a good sign.

M5farm":2crz1foy said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2crz1foy said:
If you are still mad at me over my crack about your FSU avatar I apologize. Please put something in the box 'cause I really miss seeing something next to your name.

I tried to attach a funny looking duck like you had and it Deleted the "2014 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS" avatar I had.

Go Noles!

Funny looking Duck huh?

Not me, that's Alan.

That's a great story - and funny, about human nature.
freemartins are a weird concept, I can imagine thinking someone was trying to spin a tale if I'd never heard of them.

I use this forum everyday to keep me grounded
This forum has been great in the times I've had less-than-honest business partners. There's always someone here displaying a good dose of common sense to balance out the real-life madness.
Even during forum blips like the current one :roll:

TennesseeTuxedo":2v1rj8tj said:
M5farm":2v1rj8tj said:

Go Noles!
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Good one!!!
TennesseeTuxedo":2v1rj8tj said:
Funny looking Duck huh?

Not me, that's Alan.

"whoosh"!

I started here while searching for information when I had a cow go down and die. I found lots of good information here, (though the problem with the original cow was still kind of a mystery.) Since then I have learned a lot from folks! And I hope that on occasion I have shared some usable information also. Made some great friends, with like interests. :D

I bought a bred heifer and didn't know how far bred she was. For 3 months solid I bugged you guys wanting to know if she was close to calving. Well, 3 months has run into about 3 or 4 years now of bugging you all.

Hook":33pqxgxk said:
I bought a bred heifer and didn't know how far bred she was. For 3 months solid I bugged you guys wanting to know if she was close to calving. Well, 3 months has run into about 3 or 4 years now of bugging you all.

If she has not calved in 3 or 4 years I would sell her

We had to pull it but she calved 3 moths after I joined up. She's gave us 4 great calves so far, an we've kept all of her heifers. I guess I got lucky with her being my first, because she's one of my best cows. Easily top 2

I stumbled on it as well as I was always doing research. Research is good, but people with experience often is much better. Just as cow pollinator wrote, "Many things here made him rethink how he could do things better." There is always a way to do things better as 3Way posted.
I had a lot of that, and learned about EPD's and the whole ball of wax. Everything is explained in detail here, if you search for it. Sometimes searches are hard to pinpoint, so ask again. Some people will remember a threads that had great detail, and they can direct you to it.

I believe I was doing the research thing too.. and came across this forum. I decided to join, and I am still here. I dont get on as much as I would like, but enjoy the time I do get.

backhoeboogie":3ssy6m7h said:
Dang.. Limomike, cabo, and I all joined about the same time. Within days.

boogie.. we sure did !! musta been a good time to join. :)

Latest posts