How far should we separate calf from dam

Help Support CattleToday:

DeepBlue

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first time posting here, I've searched the forum a bit but didn't find anything related to this topic.

We have been breeding cattle for about 5 years now and selling our calves at auction after they have finished weening. We have recently decided to take a group of 12 calves that are about to finish weening and raise them to mature weight as an experiment to see if it will be more profitable.
Our first challenge is to decide how far apart we should separate the calves from their dams.
We have 3 options:
1) We can corral the calves and mothers next to each other in two corrals that are side by side. They will be separated from the rest of the herd but still remain within close proximity to each other.
2) We can keep the dams with the herd and corral the calves nearby, where they can still see and interact with the dams, but not feed from them.
3) We can move either the calves or the dams to a separate part of the ranch, roughly 1.5 miles away.

This is a new process for us and as I said, is being done primarily as a test run. But we would like increase our chances of success as much as possible. Which of these options would be most likely to succeed. If it matters, the breeds of the cows will be different.. some will be Brahman and others will be Simbrah.

Thanks in advance!

I would opt for option 2. Fenceline weaning causes less stress. Eventually, the dam will get tired and go her own way. But still keep them separated at least 45 days (I would opt for a minimum of 60).
Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it.

I would opt for option 2. Fenceline weaning causes less stress. Eventually, the dam will get tired and go her own way. But still keep them separated at least 45 days (I would opt for a minimum of 60).
I do option 2. Some writing says that it is best to leave calves in the pastures that they are used to but I cannot make that happen. To speed the process, let the cows have access to a new pasture as far away as possible or put mineral or supplement (some sort of bait) as far away from the calves as possible and the cows will quick quicker. And don't forget the ear plugs!

I am a little confused. If you usually sell the calves after weaning, then they should not have any contact that will allow them to nurse from the cows. But your option #2 states that they can be close enough to see each other but not nurse... so in reality the calves are not weaned yet. Weaning means the calves are separated from the cows, CAN NOT SUCK, so the cows can dry up their milk supply and the calves are totally reliant on the feed/hay you provide for them.
Fenceline weaning is what many do. It allows the calves and cows to interact as far as "talking to each other"...but NOT to be able to nurse.
Different people do different things. It also depends a little on what age you wean them. The older the calves, the less "dependent" they are on the dams in most cases.

We will usually wean the calves when the cows get preg checked... calves being 7-9 months or thereabouts. We will keep the calves in the lot at the barn, move the cows back out to a pasture. However, we will leave a couple of cows still in there with the calves. Usually someone that is open or maybe shorter bred. This gives the calves an "adult presence" in the field and it seems to keep most everyone calmer. Teaches them to come into the barn to eat at the bunk when called, and the water is in the smaller barn lot also...
Then in a couple weeks, the cows left there will come out. Sold if that is what we are going to do with the opens, or move the shorter bred ones out to pasture somewhere... By then, there might be only the couple of calves that the momma's were still in there, that might holler for a couple days, but no one else seems upset so they seem to quit quicker.
Fenceline weaning works good IF the fences are good and the calves cannot get back in with the cows. Most of our fences are not that good.

A lot depends on how good your fences are and how old/big the calves are..
#2 or #3 should work fine if your fences will hold the calves..

I have the same question as @farmerjan about your meaning of "finished weening." To me, finished weaning means calves have been separated away from dams, both calves and dams have excepted the fact that they are no longer together, and calves no longer bawl for their moms. I use your option 2. studies have shown that is the least stressful way to wean calves. I sell feeders after 45+ days post weaning and replacement heifers are not mixed with the cows until about 60 days before calving. welcome to the CT forum and wish you the best of luck on your experiment.

With not a big group, another option is nose flaps. Put them in, separate using option #2 three days later. Makes it all very calm and mimics how a cow would naturally wean a calf. But you do get the calves who learn how to drink around them. That is why it's important not to go more than two or three days between putting the flaps on and separating in my experience.

If you go with option 3, only move the calves. Never move cows to wean calves unless you're going to hold them in working pens for a week or so. I've known cows to break out of a new pasture to go looking for their calf (not me; my father found that out when I was a boy).

To me, finished weaning means calves have been separated away from dams, both calves and dams have excepted the fact that they are no longer together, and calves no longer bawl for their moms.
Same here.
They aren't weaned till they no longer suck and one that continues to let a big calf suck put them on the cull list.
Just separating them does not equal 'weaned'.

We have weaned ours for 45 days with just a fence between the two (calves in the dry lot cows in the field). I've never had issues from it. About a week in the cows go away and come back occasionally, but they've stopped caring at that point.

If you fence line wean, may have to run a hotwire on the side of the fence the cow's are on about udder height, we've had cow's stand next to the fence and let the Calves nurse through the barbed wire

D05D62B3-EB08-40A9-A32B-013F08064D8D.jpegD427F0AE-C60C-41C7-A3E3-CE9E24E32E7B.jpeg
Normally we fence line wean but the family that owns the property that these heifers calves were born at live next to the catch pen . So I moved these 7 about 5 miles down the road to our other farm . We are experiencing a real cool fall , dry but really nice weather. So everyone is sleeping with their windows open . Got to keep my neighbors happy and the calves are really being calm and not baling much so far . So I may be changing my weaning method?? 🤠

I'm weaning on Sunday and the calves are moved to the west 80, kitty corner across the road from the cows. Never had a problem until a couple years ago, a couple calves managed to escape & get back with mama - and I could definitely see the residual barbed wire scrapes. Reinforced the fence in the calves' pasture and zero prison breaks last year. Mamas & calves congregate at their respective corners a couple days, then go on about their business. I wean for generally a minimum 45 days and retained heifers do NOT go back in the central pasture with their dams until after they calve (and I calve out my heifers in the barn).

Latest posts