How does this work? Or does it

Help Support CattleToday:

Santas and Duhram Reds":1nepdohf said:
Smokie cow (CharolaisxAngus) and Red bull = black calf

Is this possible?

Last year I had two full sisters calve out to a RA bull. They were both part Char and kinda silver/smokey colored. One had a coco colored calf that got a little lighter as the year went on and turned almost yellow. The other one had a coal blk calf that stayed blk. There was 0 chance of other parentage.

For what it's worth the older sister weaned the yellow cal(which I posted on here @ 650lbs, her full sister bred to the same bull weaned a 575lb calf. both steers born a week apart. This is the second year in a row that the older sis weaned a Much larger calf. last year they were bred to different bulls . Apparently it doesn' matter.

The one that weans the better calf looks like hammered crap by august the other one stays nice and fat. Draw your own conclusions.

Santas and Duhram Reds":3ng7eiyj said:
Smokie cow (CharolaisxAngus) and Red bull = black calf

Is this possible?

Yes. If the cow passed a black gene but not the dilution gene then the calf would be black.

I have two of these cows as well. Same bull. Last year one calf was smokie and the other red. I really don't think there could have been another bull, if there was he would have had to do some traveling and never be seen or missed. So in theory, the smokie calf's momma will have anothe smokie calf?

Santas and Duhram Reds":1kib4ck3 said:
I have two of these cows as well. Same bull. One calf was smokie and the other red. I really don't think there could have been another bull, if there was he would have had to do some traveling and never be seen or missed.

Both cows would carry a dilution gene and at least one black gene since their coats are diluted black (smokie). The first calf would have received a red gene from the bull, plus a black gene AND a dilution gene from the cow. Since the black gene and the dilution gene are dominant, the calf turned out smokie like it's dam. The cow that had the red calf would have had to carry a red gene along with the black gene. It passed the red gene to the calf, but not the dilution gene. One red gene from the cow and one from the bull, but no dilution gene, gives you a red calf.
I'm by no means an expert, but that's how I understand it. Hopefully someone else will come along and explain it better than I did. I'm tired and am gonna hit the sack. Have a good night.

Latest posts