How do they look

Help Support CattleToday:

greenapple

Reaction score
My daughter is showing her charolais mix in two weeks and her angus heifer in a few months. Let us know what you think about the way they look.
100_3922.JPG
100_3932.JPG

An important thing that people must remember is that these are just pictures, and may not do justice to the calf, or may indeed give credit where credit is not due; however, when judging cattle, I picture in my head the calf at the given point in time, condition, and maturity as being in a show ring and not tied to a pipe fence at someone's place. Therefore, I am going to be constructively critical. According to the pictures, and what I look for in a show animal,
The charolais cross steer, from a structural standpoint looks a bit posty in his hind leg structure, and seems to have his feet placed too close together indicating that he may be a narrow tracking steer. Granted he is a long-bodied steer and has adequate depth of body and capacity, he is pinched in his heart girth. I would like to see this calf in the correct show position so that I might be able to determine how much of the weakness in his top is actually from incorrect feet placement and posture or from genetics; nevertheless, I would like to see him with a stronger top. Granted he has indications of bos indicus blood, from a show appeal standpoint, I would like to clean this calf up in his chest floor and eliminate the crestiness and extra hide on his neck. If he is not a slick shear calf, I would suggest working his hair.

The Angus appearing heifer has good length of body and what appears to be correct hip structure. I admire her for her spring of rib and body capacity; however she needs to be deeper in her flank. I would like to clean up and add some extension to her neck, and make her more feminine appearing when it comes to her head and neck. I would like to clean up her chest floor and give her a stronger top and more dimension in her hindquarter.

I don't mind the char steer. Off in the hip quite a bit. Looks like he's an easy feeder.
The angus is a typical average heifer.
Both would do OK at most county fairs but that's it. Sorry.

Thank You all for the comments so far.
The Char cross was clipped yesterday to get him ready for show.
JR Cattle Co.":uinym534 said:
I would like to see this calf in the correct show position so that I might be able to determine how much of the weakness in his top is actually from incorrect feet placement and posture or from genetics; nevertheless, I would like to see him with a stronger top. Granted he has indications of bos indicus blood, from a show appeal standpoint, I would like to clean this calf up in his chest floor and eliminate the crestiness and extra hide on his neck. If he is not a slick shear calf, I would suggest working his hair.
This weekend I can get some more pictures of him, in the show position and of him walking.

here are the new pics of the char cross, I believe she said at his last weigh in he was 1097
100_4010.JPG

100_4013.JPG

any and all comments welcome, we do take the good and the bad as they all help.

Moocow11":a339veqj said:
Are you going to a slick shear show???
Yes. My daughter explained to me that the fair we are going to requires that the hair is trimmed to a certain length. This is one of the fairs where you have to buy your calf from them. I sat in on the ethics class they have to take before they can show, and we were told that they get an ultrasound scan to judge the carcass, and they will see if anything has been injected under the skin to make the steer look better.

Latest posts