How do i know?

Help Support CattleToday:

dekalb

Reaction score
My son just got his first show hefer, while there are many different bags of feed all seem to be the same. My question is do i need to be feeding her suppliments and if so which are the right ones. They all seem to be different, but claim to be the best.

Most show feeds are well balanced with added minierals and vitamins. You correctly stated that all the makers of additives claim to the best. In my opinion most are not needed when feeding a balanced feed. If you wnat to add something I would reccomend Vitaferm Sure champ.

With it being his FIRST heifer, I don't think you need to get in the whole game of the show ring unless you spent a lot for this heifer.

I would say find something local that you are not going to have to drive out of your way for feed every couple months. Like stated above, most are well balanced. Use what's in your budget, no need to brake the bank.

Good Luck, make sure your boy is having fun first though- then worry about all the extras.

you can't go wrong with Acco heifer feed.

no need to do all the additives.

don't cheap out on feed....get the good stuff. it makes a big difference.

r and s peckman":2flz98bi said:
We have been supplementing with the Vitaferm Show Champ and I have noticed a change in the steers.

What changed have you seen? PM me if you'd like.

Most show feeds are pretty well balanced. As a first heifer, I would suggest that the focus be more on learning the fundamentals of exhibiting cattle, and focus on the competitive aspect later. Splitting hairs with feed supplements is not as crucial as people put on... If I could give any advice, I would tell you to get a system and stick with it. Feed at regular times, keep the calf on a monthly worming schedule, and keep fresh clean water in front of her all the time. Put emphasis on making it a fun experience at first, then you can focus on the blue ribbons.

Metalwoodchips":kxng45ru said:
Jr cattle is smokin snuff! All you need is a balanced diet of warts (see thread about heffer who gotten warts), woodchips (preferably metal) and Trix cereal. it combines all the things necessary to produce a rill weaner. :banana:
seriously if your gona post something make it usefull. your the one that is obviouslly sniffing crack

I haven't posted in a while, but I thought I would on this thread since I'm pretty close to DeKalb.

We feed a bulk ration from Green Top in Leary (it's also available at Tucker's in Omaha). We have had very good results from it -- average around 3 lbs per day (heifers and bulls). No it's not the typical show ration, but it does the trick and for far less money. The only drawback is the fact that it's bulk and not bagged. We haul it in barrels and then bag it up for shows. Of course Green Top and Tucker both carry several show rations as well. I know Green Top carries Acco and Evergreen. Tucker I think carries Pilgrims and maybe some others. I would see what the other kids are feeding (Woodards, McDaniels) or ask Mr. Barger or Mr. Johnson what they think.

PM if you want more detailed info.

Latest posts