How do I figure analysis of feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
How the heck do you figure feed analysis of feed? I had a feed guy at the mill figure a recipe for replacement heifers for me(not going to show) just replacement heifers. figured by ton- 800lb corn, 200lb 38% beef supplement,300 oats,600lb soy haul pellets, 100lb soy bean meal pellets.

can anyone help?

Gonna be a very good high energy 14% feed. Without knowing the composition of the 38% pellet it would be impossible to give you net energy values for the complete feed as well as vitamin and mineral levels in the feed.

This is an area that I am terribly weak and uneducated about. Any recommendations for online sources of info, broken down to semo comprehension levels?

Ebenezer":1fau8a0w said:

Still worthless without knowing the nutrient profile of that 38% pellet. I assume all the other ingredients use NRC standards. If I remember correctly it calculates everything on a 100% dry matter basis rather than "as fed". You really need a good feed formulation program or let the man at the feed mill print out his formula showing all the restrictions and nutrient densities.

If they cannot disclose the pellet info, find another feed source. Otherwise, something is fishy or else it will always be unknown.

]Sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner

$274 a ton 800lb corn, 200lb 38% beef,300lboats,600lb soy haul pellets and 100 lb soy bean meal pellets

I think that is what you need to find an analysis?

BryanM":ea5tjfh2 said:
]Sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner

$274 a ton 800lb corn, 200lb 38% beef,300lboats,600lb soy haul pellets and 100 lb soy bean meal pellets

I think that is what you need to find an analysis?

That's about double what I have in a 14% feed.

I cannot get calculator to load right can someone give me the analysis please

BryanM":2bzfs7wf said:
I cannot get calculator to load right can someone give me the analysis please

Here you go Bryan:

Crude Protein 38.00%
Crude Fat 1.00%
Crude Fiber 5.00%
ADF 7.00%
Calcium 1.75% Min, 2.25% max
Phosphorus 1.20%
Salt 2.20% min, 2.75% max
Potassium 1.80%
Selenium 2.00 ppm
Vitamin A 25,000 IU/lb

Also medicated with 400 gr/ton Monensin (Rumensin)

BryanM":1b3l906h said:
How the heck do you figure feed analysis of feed? I had a feed guy at the mill figure a recipe for replacement heifers for me(not going to show) just replacement heifers. figured by ton- 800lb corn, 200lb 38% beef supplement,300 oats,600lb soy haul pellets, 100lb soy bean meal pellets.

can anyone help?

Bryan here is the analysis of the feed mix you gave us, however, at the time I ran this I had nothing other than the crude protein for the 38% pellet so just plugged in some representative numbers for most values....also didn't know it was medicated with monensin. Should do you a good job.....disregard the cost figures.

I can tell you with 99% certainty that those blender pellets are probably cottonseed meal with a molasses binder. Cottonseed meal is about 42% protein, so mixing it with a little binder to make it stick in a pellet will put you at around 38%.

True but could also be soybean meal. The pellet will normally also contain all of your calcium, phos, vitamins and minerals and depending on the protein source might even have space for some "filler" but in this case it contains some grain by-products which most likely will be wheat midds.