How Could This Happen

Help Support CattleToday:

sounds fishy to me, or maybe the other guy was drunk-pretty hard to not tell a man from a deer, especially since he was walking-BUT it seems every year someone is killed by another

I can see how it happens, but there is no excuse for it to happen. I've seen a lot of bushes and stumps that looked like deer, but dang sure never shot a one. My neighbor almost shot his brother a few years back and they have hunted together for 50+ years. Frank got turned around in a thicket of briars and honeysuckle that the deer had tunnels in. So Frank decided to crawl out to the opening being as quit as possible. When Frank made it to the clearing his brother had him in the crosshairs. It scared his brother so bad that he doesn't hunt anymore. Frank was just lucky that they were meat hunting and his brother was going to shoot the deer in the head.

Same here, I do understand the misidentification. More than once I've been convinced that what I was looking at was a turkey or deer. But there's always that slim bit of doubt that keeps most people from shooting. These accidents happen because they got excited and ignored that doubt.

I carry binoculars with me on every hunt now, this way I don't scope anything until I'm certain of what it is. I couldn't live with myself after something like that. Local guy here shot another hunter while turkey hunting. Just shot at the movement.

Same here J&D, I always use the binoculars before putting my scope on the target. Plus, I dont shoot unless I got a clear straight shot at the deer. Thats just ridiculous to hit another person, does sound kind of fishy to me too.

My husband was almost killed by a cousin. The cousin was inexperienced and saw a movement and shot. He was also not where he was supposed to be.

Been a while but I use to hear so called deer hunters refer to "brush shots'. Hearing something and just shooting into the brush. Knew a man that got shot thru the heart by his best friend when they went hunting together.

You guys can not judge the world by your ethical standards....
not everyone who buys a hunting licsence has ethics.
not everyone who goes deer hunting knows what a deer looks or moves like.
not everyone who hunts is sane....
not everyone who hunts is smart....

in our state we have a couple of "accidental " shootings every year....

I carry a gun in my yard during hunting season because some of these guys think they own my land when they have not made any mortgage or tax payments....

I know a man that killed his best friend about 30 years ago, they were about 16 years old and hunting in a thicket. The boy that got shot was wearing Carhartts and no orange. There never is any excuse, but back then it was bucks only around here, so there really was no excuse.

I am probably too cautious, and have let deer and turkey get away, but I aint shooting untill I know 110% what it is.

Latest posts