HOW AND WHEN DO YOU WEIGH YOUR CALVES?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What brand of scales do you own? What are your regrets about the brand scales you bought verses what you wish you had bought? Pics would be nice of your working facilities also. Pictures are worth a thousand words! We are fixing to build new working facilities any and all ideas and pictures would be of great help.

We have an old platform Paul's Scale under a Frey work chute. We weigh everything everytime they go thru the chute. So for calves, they get weighed at birth (hanging), then again 3-5 months of age at vaccinations & worming time & again 4 weeks later ate booster vaccinations. Then they get weighed again at weaning time.

We have an enclosed cage type platform with a trutest 1000 under it. Calves are carried up and put in the scale then turned back out. Like Jeanne, everytime anything goes through the chute they get weighed.

We use a Tru-test E-Z weigh but I don't know the model. We bought the set "used" but the guy had never weighed anything on them so they were practically brand new. Works good, just wish we had them when we built the pens 15 years ago..... they are just retrofit into place and it isn't the best set up in the world.

we just guesstimate. Its what my grandpa has always done. He is alot better at it than me but after I get out of school and get at it again I get it back.

We weigh within 24 hours of birth, put a strap around the belly, hook it on a scale and lift. Then we run them across the scales at weaning for 205 day weights. We weigh the heifers for yearling weights and the bulls usually get weighed at the test station.

Latest posts