Houston take a look.

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder

Reaction score
This is a bull called Improver. He kinda interests me. What do you think.
ImproverBull-2.jpg

To be honest RBB, I dont care for him, has that racehorse look about him. I think you could find bulls that are deeper, even in the old bloodlines.

You can find deeper ones Houston. But this one has something you can't get in them. If you catch a little free time look him up, I bred one cow to him this spring and will breed another to him this fall. I am using him more to prove a point than any thing else. Still has decent numbers acroos the board for an old bull.

KNERSIE":1onljjl9 said:
Wonder what his nuts measured...

Very subtle, Knersie! That "cute little puffy thing" on the end of his tail is utilized by "Show Deceivers" to hide the faults that may be lurking between the hind legs of both bulls and cows - giving the perception of substance that is not in evidence!

To answer the query of RBB in the beginning post -
Genetics-???
DNA Markers???
Functional traits-???
Production records-???
Breed-?
Phenotype - Ah,- - here we have a reasonably acceptable bull, and particularly for several years ago. I would like to see a deeper body overall, and a smoother transition from the shoulders along the side of the body, and a little more bone substance - but all of these criticisims are minor, because he presents a better than average example of a breeding bull (unless there are other hidden little cutsie 'cover-ups in show presentation tricks that are not obvious).

DOC HARRIS

Doc you and Knersie raise some good points.This old bull was imported into Canada years ago. I try not to practice single trait selection. But this old bull has something to offer that i want. The painful part of breeding cattle is the time it takes to see results of matings. I took me 4 years to even find a picture of this old bull. His numbers are old and there has been no one to use him in years. When he was imported moderate framed limousin bulls were not what folks were looking for. The only breeder that i found to have used this bull is in South Dakota took a while to track him down. My visit with that breeder was what made me decide to use him on some cows. Doc that DNA stuff is pretty cool. At $60.00 bucks a straw we dna a calf out of him.

Yep the marbling # Houston. But we all no limi's don't marble or do they? Don't worry about me to much Houston i got a wendy's punchette cow bred to Napoleon for you.She is a old STBR cow.

Plenty of the Mash Accolade Houston, the Cold Cash is getting hard to find. I have some Cold Cash. Have to look the be sure but i think i have seven straws of Cold Cash.

Red bull, I can't figure this one out. So your saying that red bulls have made no head way in the last several years??
Why would someone want to use old bulls, and not be on top with the new and improved bulls?? I can see using bulls that trace back to his blood lines, but it doesn't sound like your moving a head to me.

highgrit":3e62q3dc said:
Red bull, I can't figure this one out. So your saying that red bulls have made no head way in the last several years??
Why would someone want to use old bulls, and not be on top with the new and improved bulls?? I can see using bulls that trace back to his blood lines, but it doesn't sound like your moving a head to me.

Let me take a shot at this one RBB....Highgrit their are some of us that think the Limousin breed has taken steps backwards chasing the black and polled traits.. The small pool of Limousins that were availiable in the 70's led to some of problems later on in the breed. Namely sexual maturity and temperment. Their were however certain bloodlines that had large scrotal and good temperments, the trick is finding those bloodlines...

Most of the Limousins now no longer have the amount of muscle expression that I as a commercial producer look for. That has, a lot to do with the resurgence of the Char breed.. The Char people have worked hard at reducing their birthweight problem while retaining the muscle.

I as a commercial guy, would love to see some more of those ol applebutted Limis. Hopefully some of Limousin breeders will be able to get some more semen in here with HBL bloodlines. HBL stands for Herd Book Limousin... which means it will be Full French breeding. Chime in RBB if you think I missed anything.

So basically Highgrit, RBB , is thinking and breeding cows outside of the box..and I appluade him for his choice :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Highgrit i don't think you will find anywhere i have said the red bulls have not made progress. Some times the best way foreward is threw the past. Houston covered most of the reasons i choose to use some older bulls. In the future i will be using a bunch more of them.I got to breed Houston a couple of cows to the old 150 bull. Maybe some EarthQuake 93.A few LB Cold Cash. They are there they were good cattle then and will be now.

Red Bull Breeder":za55i217 said:
Highgrit i don't think you will find anywhere i have said the red bulls have not made progress. Some times the best way foreward is threw the past. Houston covered most of the reasons i choose to use some older bulls. In the future i will be using a bunch more of them.I got to breed Houston a couple of cows to the old 150 bull. Maybe some EarthQuake 93.A few LB Cold Cash. They are there they were good cattle then and will be now.

RBB , I would be careful with the EarthQuake 93, you can breed some real monsters there...One you might consider if you could get em would me NF1126593 KKCC Doll Mercy Me embryos......her momma was breed to Cold Cash to sire her... I had 3 bulls out of this cow, they all were great bulls. one out of Southern Cross, one out of Mags Kaboom, and finally one out of Fortune Cookie...If ever there was a sure thing it would be that breeding...Look at her breeding and you will drool. Michelle may still have some eggs, if you can get her to sell em....Kemi Limounsin

Latest posts