Hotter Heats

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
I have been Ai'Ing my group for about 4 years now. I have had some success and got some good calves. The group is made up of registered gerts. The issue I have is that my cows just hardly ever ride one another. I am sure part of the problem is my breeding season is to late and it is hot. I having been using patches and and I observe them 3 to 4 times even checking them at 10 each night. I have to look for them being "faster" then normal or for discharge to find natural heats. I had some success with a few feeder bull calves I put in last year to help. Cows are in "great" condition and get the best mineral my co-op offers. Has anyone added anything to their program that might help in this situation?

I'd think a sync protocol would help you, natural heat is best but in this heat im not sure they show natural heat that well. To sync them will be about 15 bucks waiting on them is costing time and money, I think just a shot of PG will help if you don't want to do cidrs.

I do use cidrs and timed on occasions. Especially with the ones that calve first. I have been using estrumate shot and checking for heat and that is where I would like to see better heat signs.

I guess I misunderstood what you were saying there, I thought you were looking for natural heat, If you use the cidrs are you breeding on time? even if you see no heat? I did 6, 3 weeks ago with just the Lute got 0 in heat first round, 10 days later another shot, got 5 out of 6 in between day 5 and 7. 1 still hasnt showed any signs. They were all cycling in May. Tough right now.

I do breed in the window when I cidr. I wonder if there is much difference in the effects of Lut vs estrumate? I do feel I am getting heat just darn hard to detect.

That Estrumate vs Lute thing is a good question, ive always used Lute a guy told me just by reasoning the Estrumate is 2ccs and Lute is 5 so maybe the Lute is a little more forgiving if that drop comes out. looking at it that way kinda makes sense but I really wouldnt have a clue, I guess just preference.

I don't know how many cows you have and it is relatively expensive, but I have had really good success with the Purine Availa4 Tubs. The spelling may not be correct (It's the only one the our local dealer has for breeding), but I tried them on heifers last year and the heats were strong and the calving season short (less than 21 days on the heifers and less than a month on the cows) for the experimental group. They all got them this spring and I hope they appeared to do as well, but won't know until preg check time. We put them out 3-4 weeks before breeding season and for the first 3-4 weeks of the breeding season.

Latest posts