Hot weather weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
My youngest calves (Jan/Feb) need weaned, but I am very hesitant about trying it right now. I am thinking it may be better for them to miss the truck that the rest get on (pre-vac sale), and just catch a later one.

Any of you wean any calves in this heat and humidity?

I wean calves in July and/or August every year and haven't had any problems. Make sure they have shade and water available at all times, preferably with the water in the shade so it stays cooler, and they should be fine. If they're under a barn, or some other bare area, it's a good idea to spray it with a hose once or twice a day to keep the dust down.

I;ve been thinking about this all day. I suppose it depends on how they are weaned. Fenceline weaning and backgrounding them for 45 days vs weaning them on the trailer. I wouldn;t do the latter. For fenceline weaning have plenty of shade along the fencline nearest the mommas and make sure the calves are in an area they are familiar with so they can find water easily.

I would put the calves in a smallish pipe barn lot. They have been in there but not for an extended period. It doesn't have a permanent waterer in it so that's a plus ( I can move it to cut down there pacing a little bit). Downside is no shade other than the barn in the late afternoon and IN the barn during the day. IN the barn and lot being on the east side of it will cut down on the breeze they get. Upside is, other than the non perm water situation, is that the lot is full of crab/barnyard grass and should provide plenty of picking for four or five days until I would turn them out with the big calves.
I sure don't want to lose one. Looks to me like they are all growing hair and are as hot as a two dollar pistol shot five times.

You can buy shade cloths (like a tarp, but won't hold water). You might think about getting one and put it up so they can get under it but still get a breeze. I have one I used for several years until I added a pen on the east side of the barn that is shaded by the barn in the afternoon.

Latest posts