Hot and Dry

Help Support CattleToday:

Sugar Creek

Reaction score
We have had only about 1/2 inch of rain in June and more days in the 90s than we have had for several years. Grass is burnt up. I bushogged the ridges in late May to get rid of fescue seed heads. Sidling ground is still not mowed. Best grass is on north facing steep hillsides.

Any suggestions on how best to manage pastures in a drought?
Should I mow or leave alone?

Sugar Creek":3uamspc1 said:
We have had only about 1/2 inch of rain in June and more days in the 90s than we have had for several years. Grass is burnt up. I bushogged the ridges in late May to get rid of fescue seed heads. Sidling ground is still not mowed. Best grass is on north facing steep hillsides.

I finished clipping our Pastures the other day. We are in the same situation here in Middle TN. Dry, hot, showers have been widely scattered, not a lot of help. Bout the only thing growing is weeds.Hope we get some relief soon. I'd still clip em' even though it's dry.

90's dang cold front must have came through we have been over a 100. Driest June on record since 1889, we are 20" behind.
So dry here cows starting to give powdered milk, had to go dip the catfish for fleas.

Caustic Burno":3slbxvov said:
, had to go dip the catfish for fleas.

Just when you thought you've heard em all, someone throws in a new one. Now thats dry.

Now that is pretty funny! Where do you guys come up with things like that. We are suppose to have 103 tomorrow. Summer is here are in full swing. Grass is dying. I mowed to garden down today, everything is gone in it except a few plants. Thomas said we are expecting rain on Thurday. If we don't get some soon we will be in trouble. :(
Greenwillows Wife

caustic, now that is a real biting seed tick---wouldnt want too many of them on me, that is for sure---lol.
So dry here that we have frogs 3/4 grown that havent learned to swim yet and the fish going up stream in the evening stir up so much dust, you cant hardly see across the creek bottom

Had a youngster ask me the other day why we were raising pineapples and not corn.

Sugar Creek":1v518edo said:

Sorry guys! So far we have had the second highest rain fall in June since they started keeping records down here. We still have a few days to break it though. Our problem is we can't cut our hay because of it.

flaboy":9ejnnky3 said:
Sugar Creek":9ejnnky3 said:

Sorry guys! So far we have had the second highest rain fall in June since they started keeping records down here. We still have a few days to break it though. Our problem is we can't cut our hay because of it.

Don;t get too excited. We had the wettest January on record this year, about normal feburary and the driest march-june on record. All of that rain is pretty useless if it isn;t spread out when you need it.

dun

flaboy":1y07hs5l said:

Send it north, please!

dun":3kodz51k said:
Don;t get too excited. We had the wettest January on record this year, about normal feburary and the driest march-june on record. All of that rain is pretty useless if it isn;t spread out when you need it.

dun

Agreed and that is my point too much is no better than too little. If we get a hurricane we will all need boats and our tree's will fall like dead leaves as the ground so saturated the roots won't hold.

I really need to start shredding our improved pastures but not when it's dry like this. I'm going to wait until we get some rain or the grass will just burn up faster. I'll have to put up with the briars and brush until it rains.

What I just can't get by is these dadburn skeeters. It hasn't rained a spoonful in three months and everything else is dead as a hammer, but the skeeters are thriving. You can see clouds of them in the evenings while I'm filing water troughs.

Anybody else got these new drought resistant skeeters?

Yea, I hear ya Campground, 103 here with a heat index of 108. Hotter than blazes. If I'm not mistaken, we didn't have any rain in at all so far in June and it doesn't look good for the rest of this week either. My brother is coming from Ca. on the 14th of July, and I hope he brings some rain or at the very least, thunderstorms. You know the old joke: "I saw a coyote chasing a rabbit and they were both carrying canteens".

Dick

103 for an hour or two yesterday. Friends in the Mojave Desert are giving me a bad time because it's hotter here then it has been there.

dun

Hot here too. Heat index is supposed to be 100 today. Wife says that three Bullfrogs and a Turtle were at the front door looking for some SPF 80 Sunscreen.

Crowderfarms":2gij5ke9 said:
Hot here too. Heat index is supposed to be 100 today. Wife says that three Bullfrogs and a Turtle were at the front door looking for some SPF 80 Sunscreen.

I wondered where them frogs went to cool off.

Latest posts