Hot and Dry

Help Support CattleToday:

Same as ya'll.. hot and dry. Heat indexes over 100 every day.

Someone mentioned they heard that when the temps get so hot so quickly in the early summer, it usually means an active hurricane season. That may be our only hope for the summer.

For the 3rd weekend in a row, weather liars are predicting a "chance of showers" for late Friday night, early Saturday morning. Hopefully, for the 3rd week in a row, they wont be wrong this time. Supposedly a small front hanging out west that should be trickling through S Oklahoma and N Tx might bring us some relief.

Sorry guys, we are 1.22 inches from setting a new June record rainfall. Wish I could send some your way. Now if we even get .5 inches everything is under water. We are expecting more than the 1.22 inches today.

It hasnt rained here (central Ky) in 6 weeks. But you know murphy's law. Got hay on the ground yesterday, and had showers all afternoon. Go figure, not enough to help but plenty to make the work just a little harder.

MD

TheBullLady":39kxfubr said:
Same as ya'll.. hot and dry. Heat indexes over 100 every day.

Someone mentioned they heard that when the temps get so hot so quickly in the early summer, it usually means an active hurricane season. That may be our only hope for the summer.

That is great for us, sure is rough on millions of people living on the US coast. I think I prefer my rain from another source than at others suffering. Until you have lived through a Cat 4 like Carla you have no idea what you are wishing on those people.
A few cows or bales of hay are not worth the loss of one life or the destruction and disease that comes with it.

Campground Cattle":2f5zojq0 said:
A few cows or bales of hay are not worth the loss of one life or the destruction and disease that comes with it.

Well said Camp. Always thinking of someone else.

I guess I read the BullLady's statement differently. My thought on it was that hurricanes come every year, that is just a fact of nature. But when they come, many times they are the only hope to break a drought for the people inland. So, when they come, you hope that they push rain toward your area so that it breaks the drought. I would hope that no one wishes for anyone to get hit by a hurricane, and I dont think that is what she was wishing for.

stocky":397g08ph said:
I guess I read the BullLady's statement differently. My thought on it was that hurricanes come every year, that is just a fact of nature. But when they come, many times they are the only hope to break a drought for the people inland. So, when they come, you hope that they push rain toward your area so that it breaks the drought. I would hope that no one wishes for anyone to get hit by a hurricane, and I dont think that is what she was wishing for.

C A T E G O R Y : 4
D E A T H S : 46
D A M A G E : $7.8 billion
(in 1998 dollars)
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
Hitting the coast on Sept. 10, 1961, this Category 4 hurricane had winds at its center estimated to be 150 mph. Even though 500,000 people were evacuated from the area, Carla still claimed 46 lives.

Stills seems to be a very high cost to pay for the needs of a few.

Campground, I am not trying to be argumentive, I still dont see the connection. Everything you says is fact about the hurricanes and it is horrible the damage and loss. Also the facts say that for a very long time hurricanes have hit land every year. The amount of damage depends on the amount of things that people have built in the area where the hurricane hits. Same with tornadoes in my area. The constant is that tornadoes are going to hit. The variable is, have people built something where that tornado hits? I still dont see that after a hurricane comes ashore and up into the inland why it is bad to wish for it to push moisture into my area and break up a drought pattern. I think that is all that BullLady was saying. If I am wrong, she is certainly welcome to correct me. I would never, ever wish a bad thing on anyone, especially fellow farmers that battle natures worst constantly.

Three toads have taken up residence in the wife's flower bed. One of them knocked on the door yesterday and said, "I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if I were you, I'd go ahead and water now instead of waiting until later this evening!" :shock: :)

eric":2wz5wdju said:
For the 3rd weekend in a row, weather liars are predicting a "chance of showers" for late Friday night, early Saturday morning. Hopefully, for the 3rd week in a row, they wont be wrong this time. Supposedly a small front hanging out west that should be trickling through S Oklahoma and N Tx might bring us some relief.

I think they just do that to break the monotony of their forecasts.

Had a wet cool spring here. Been a couple weeks w/o even a morning dew. After the grasses and ground start to adapt to such wet conditions, it sure doesn't take much to burn it up.

I could use a nice soaking shower for about 3 days straight., the crops could too.

we got less than an inch in june..

:(

jt

From last night through this morning we got a whopping 1.23 inches. That about qudrupels what we got all of june

dun

Too funny Burno. We have had a little shower the last three days. Not much but every little bit helps. Maybe you will get some soon Crowder.

ctlbaron":2arwwo7a said:
Too funny Burno. We have had a little shower the last three days. Not much but every little bit helps. Maybe you will get some soon Crowder.
Not bettin on it Baron, It's drier than a Popcorn Fart here, 40 chance this evening, same as yesterday, not a Sprinkle to be seen.

Sorry about your misfortune folks. Rain has drove me inside the past few day. And ya'll are the lucky ones that have to put up with me!! Arn't ya'll so blessed :D

I am afraid if it rains now of a stampede, I have got calfs that have never been wet. It is hotter than five F's here already today, (can't type that one out get in trouble)

Latest posts