Horses cheap, cheap, cheap !

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
I dont know it if it is the fact that they dont buy horses for slaughter any more or what. But it is unreal at the people wanting to get rid of horses here. And they are dirt cheap and in some cases they are giving them away.

The Illinois slaughter plant has re-opened, at least temporarily. Closing the slaughter houses has resulted in a glut of horses on the market, the bottom fell out, and prices went to hell - it's simple economics. It is very unfortunate that the do-gooders didn't stop to think long enough to realize that they didn't have a clue what the end result would be, and now the horses will pay for it. :x :(

Stepper":n58kk51u said:
I dont know it if it is the fact that they dont buy horses for slaughter any more or what. But it is unreal at the people wanting to get rid of horses here. And they are dirt cheap and in some cases they are giving them away.

Auction sale - horses going for 5 bucks. Can't give them away and it will get worse.

No one wants them - let those rescue folks grab them up.

Bez>

Trouble is Bez they won't.
I couldn't even give you a horse if it might end up in the slaughter house in Canada.
When will enough be enough?
"You are a minority and you opinon does not matter."
That was a comment given to me.
Funny the minority feeds these same people. Who's going to laugh last?

While I think the horse industry has a real rough road ahead and we will see prices tumble maybe as bad as they did in the Reagan era. It's doesn't matter who's the minority or not, it is always the squeakest wheel that gets the grease.

JMO,
Alan

Any person who knows the truth.
I've been writing letters against this bill, but seriously doubt that they are being printed. Not surprised. Most the papers don't want the real truth.

I said it before and I'll say it again.
The best thing that people with unwanted horses can do is take them to their State Capitol tie them to a tree or something there and walk away.
If they are going to pass something this dumb let them take care of them.

Your only as old as you feel. :D

I am currently working on an article on horse slaughter for an online newsletter at Horseheadquarters.com and when I Googled horse slaughter the first ten pages that came up were anti-slaughter pages. PETA and HSUS are the driving force behind the slaughter ban and they are using and playing on the American public's emotions and not using their brains to win favor for this bill. Obvioulsy the pro slaughter people need to quickly step up their vocalization, the last horse slaughter plant is temporarily opened until June 24. What the horse slaughter issue comes down to is emotions, not economics.

Oh great the pet killers of PETA. No surprise here. If the subject gets them more money the better.
There is one web site i check every once in awhile that watches them and reports on their activities
http://www.activistcash.com
You can see who is supporting these groups.
Even HSUS is listed there.

I luv herfrds":3n691pt9 said:
Any person who knows the truth.
I've been writing letters against this bill, but seriously doubt that they are being printed. Not surprised. Most the papers don't want the real truth.

I said it before and I'll say it again.
The best thing that people with unwanted horses can do is take them to their State Capitol tie them to a tree or something there and walk away.
If they are going to pass something this dumb let them take care of them.

Your only as old as you feel. :D

Ill agree to that!

The framers of the Constituition were way ahead of their time. They tried to account for everything that could possibly happen in the future. They gave each individual adult male a vote regardless of wealth. The special interests groups have managed to trump this. They are influencing the populace to their point of view and the beltway is losing. I grew up in a military town and joined the military after highschool. I really didn't know what a liberal was till I was out of the military in a civilian job in Austin, Tx. The metro areas are starting rule the country. The rural folks will just have to deal with whatever they decide to do to them.

Walt

Walt I keep thinking I hear a whirling sound, our fore fathers spinning in their graves.

Luckily our county officals are doing everything they can to protect the ag in our area, unlike some other counties.

Where are all these people learning about being a liberal?
Collage. My husband always called one of his courses Communism 101.

The American Horse Council estimates that an amazing 300,000 foals are born to registered horses each year and that doesn't count grade animals or feral animals. Currently the U.S. taxpayer is taking care of 32,000 feral animals that are waiting for adoption. By closing these plants they are shutting down an entire industry. Each town where these plants are located will experience about a $41 million dollar loss and each horse will loose about $300 in value instantly. I just shake my head because people are being driven by emotions on this topic and not facts and economics. I do agree that our Founding Fathers are turning in their graves. What's next? Deep down this isn't only about the slaughter of horses it's about a private citizen's right to choose what they want to do with their own private property.

This is just another battle in the war on AG industry.
People are so removed from the farm any more that kids now think their food comes from the back of the store.

Each person should be able to decide what they want to do with their own personal property, but too many of these bleeding hearts do not look at the big picture.
They do not care about putting people out of work, look at the timber industry. They do not care about the economics because it does not affect them.
All a person can do is try to show them both sides of the issue, but not everyone will listen or believe.

Latest posts