Horseflesh to cheep

Help Support CattleToday:

lilmac

Reaction score
I just got back from the auction and AQHA weanlings were starting at 45 bucks, with pappers. Is this normal in your neck of the woods???
Mac

Some real nice ones wouldn't even sell for $75 in Utah in August... I'm told they're going for $20-30 here in Wyoming right now.

Yes, this is a continuing tragedy!

Haven't horse people caught on to the concept of:

SPAY AND NEUTER?

I know...I know...they're not dogs and cats...

But, human "horse people" are VERY slow learners. Only took TWO incidents to get our attention...don't like feeding hay burners that no one wants to buy (or at flea market prices).

My friend bought a really nice young QH with papers at an auction for $100. The little fellow is turning out be quite a nice horse.

Running Arrow Bill":1ceelsd3 said:
Yes, this is a continuing tragedy!

Haven't horse people caught on to the concept of:

SPAY AND NEUTER?

I know...I know...they're not dogs and cats...

But, human "horse people" are VERY slow learners. Only took TWO incidents to get our attention...don't like feeding hay burners that no one wants to buy (or at flea market prices).

I have wondered that myself. Everybody wants their mare to have a baby, but then what?? They can't seem to think that far ahead.

I had planned to breed that little mare I got, because of the "cowy" instinct that that line has, but due to her size, it will never happen.
Saw the results of a horse sale I went to a couple of years ago. Drastic change. weanlings were going for $2000 and up. This year the highest was $1400.
Seeing horses in the local paper going very cheaply.
Mainly the hobby people, buy a horse for the summer, ride it very little then sell it in the fall so they don't have to feed it, but nobody is buying.

And, the horses that should have been slaughtered, that people are now forced to hang on to. There's only so many horses that folks can afford to feed.

The current trend in the horse market is really disasterous. We took a yearling to an auction in April and ended up no saling him because he sold for $100. Nice nice horses were selling for under $600 and well trained saddle horses were going for under $2000. Over breeding, hobby breeding, and the ban on horse slaughter is all coming together to bring the market down. Hobby breeding just downright angers me :mad: because these people have no clue to the ramifications to everyone else. Having a foal just to have a foal is unexceptable. When we breed, we didn't this year, we breed for a purpose: game horse, cow horse, pleasure horse, etc. A family member was asking my wife and I about breeding her hubby's childhood mare that his dad had been taking care of and now is at their place. They were only going to breed to "teach their children about mama and baby horses." We strongly, strongly told them not to, but to go to the sale barn and by a weanling for a couple of hundred. They haven't bred yet and hopefully will refrain from buying too because they just aren't horse people. Very frustrating.

Had a small mare last year that turned out to be dangerous. took her to auction and got $124 for her. Would rather see that type of horse go for slaughter then hurt some one.

lilmac":2ut9asaq said:
I just got back from the auction and AQHA weanlings were starting at 45 bucks, with pappers. Is this normal in your neck of the woods???
Mac

For the most part, you can't even give horses away here. I know of a couple of horses that were sold for 2100 to 3500, but they were well-broke, well-mannered, very well trained, versatile, and had outstanding bloodlines.

four yrs ago we bought a mare at the horse sale. for 130.00 she was sick. sent all of my mules and donks to janes. till we got her back on her feet.. figured i'd bee buying an hole to put her in..but we got her turned around.. she is the best mare loves people.. gate greeter, we bred her once to my jack, got a nice riding mule colt. now shes at janes { which is 2 doors up} till i sell misty which i havent tryed LOL i will not bred her.. probley wont ever.. cause ill probley still have misty LOL. all the bredables are at janes jennys and mare, to many ppl want a colt but dont have a clue what to do with it..
horse here at sale barns now are going for 25 ! thats unbelivable..
at one time i pd 300 for a crazy man killer appy from a farm.. was in w 3 other stalions. he learned all kinds of bad habits. would explode at a drop of a hat kick then look to see what it was.. i sold him , before he really hurt some one that when i got in to "imprinted mules" about 14 yrs ago..

Heard yesterday that someone took a horse to an auction in this area. He ended up as a no sale, came back out to trailer to load him up and leave, found someone had put 2 horses in his trailer. :lol:

Bought a mare and gelding last December at auction $350.00 for each. Mare had a foal three weeks ago. Didn't know she was in a family way. Don't know what we'll do with the foal for sure. Granddaughter took up with her so selling is not an option. She is a cutie. We bought a book so she will have to learn to work with this filly.

tom4018":24tg97ce said:
Heard yesterday that someone took a horse to an auction in this area. He ended up as a no sale, came back out to trailer to load him up and leave, found someone had put 2 horses in his trailer. :lol:

That's hilarious and sad at the same time. I just shake my head and wonder what the politicians and idiots pushing the slaughter ban bill want to do with these horses nobody wants or can't take care of?

The only P.O. that I saw was a fellow who rode his horse into the ring, dismounted, took off the sadle, and bridle. He then remounted and rode the horse around the ring using leg signals only. The bidding stoped at $550.00,P.O. he wanted twice that much.

For a few years we have bred quality cutting and working cow horse bred horses with good minds and conformation. This spring we could already see the mud slide that has become the horse market of today. Plus the fact that good quality hay is very hard to come by. We gelded our stallion and sold all of the rest of our breeding stock. The last three horses we sold were two mares, an 8 (bred) and 3 year old, and a weanling out of the 8 yr. old. Tried to sell them other ways, they were the last ones that we didn't want to sell but decided we just couldn't afford to feed that many horses. We took them to the sale and got $320 for the 8 yr. old, $340 for the 3 yr. old and no saled the weaner at $75 but then sold her to a party in the back (told the barn) for $150. But the highest selling horse was a real nice well trained, beautiful conformation grade gelding that went for $1500. They sold 90+ head that day. I saw weaners going for $15 dollars. Saw a couple that brought in really nice bred colts, that were vaccinated and de-wormed and had there feet done and were already registered, that got $40. That doesn't pay for the commisions/yardage and gas to get the horse there. I have never seen the market so poor. It is really sad, and I was not happy about selling the 8 yr. old mare, we had had her since she was 1 and had high hopes for a team penning mare but she injured her stiffle when she was a long yearling almost 2. Vet said that she would never be ridable so she was our first broodmare.

So is hay that hard to find everywhere?

:x Hay here in Indiana is sparse, some areas have it, just
"holding" it until the price goes up even higher. ( currently
anywhere from $7.00 to $9.00 per bale, depends on cut and type). see the hay gouging thread. :p

Latest posts