horse and mule power..........

Help Support CattleToday:

Loved that, chrisy! Big thanks for sharing that. (Except for the poor beach donkey carrying 3 people!)

When I was a kid I listened to grown ups talking about plowing with mules and horses, but i can not remember how many acres a day they could plow. I think they would change them out at noon, because half a day is all they could do. Does anyone know how many acres a day a person can plow with mules.

I heard, I can't vouch for it's truth, that 1 horse could plow one acre in a day, it was the definition of an acre... maybe that's just hearsay

Horsepower = how much something can pull
Mule power = how much you can pull on something :p

cowboy43":2m53cvcf said:
When I was a kid I listened to grown ups talking about plowing with mules and horses, but i can not remember how many acres a day they could plow. I think they would change them out at noon, because half a day is all they could do. Does anyone know how many acres a day a person can plow with mules.
I just called my dad to see if he could remember (he is 85). He said that his granddad would work his mules for four hours and then rest them for about an hour over lunch. Then he would work them for about four more hours before he unhitched them and brought them back to be put up. He could not remember how much land they could work in a day but thinks that the acre estimate is reasonable on a good day.

I am suspicious that there are significant differences in how long you can work the mules based on their age, the type of soil, and the rig they are pulling. In heavy clay or shallow rocky soils I am betting that CB43 is right on target and you only get 4 hours of work out of a team, whereas in rich loamy soils you can get more work out of the team after a rest.

Latest posts