Hormonal Change After Abortion

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a cow that aborted in her third trimester, and could not tell that she did so until I moved a hay ring and found the baby under the hay. It was a few days old and I could not have it checked to find the reason it aborted. She is fat, very large and the baby was small, and she had the same discharge that showed she was close to calving, but began to show signs of her sides sinking in. I walked the pasture looking, but could not find anything. All of the cows were due to calve in March, so they were all in the same stage.

In a couple of weeks she started acting like a bull; a low deep bellow, holding her head low and pawing the ground. She continues to do this, and I have not caught her coming back in heat.

Has anyone run into this problem before? Did cycling the cow help any?
Chuckie

I have seen cows that started acting like a bull pawing the ground, and very aggressive. She started looking very "bull like" with a very heavy neck and shoulders, & wouldn't breed.
Have been told it can be cystic overies that causes that. Would get a vets opinion, and see if anything can be done or if she is finished.

Are you saying she aborted before March of this year? She should have cycled by now, all of our cows usually cycle with in 45 days of calving, but have had them go as late as 60 days. She is WAY past due if that is the case. I would have a vet do a repro check on her. Is she running with a bull? I agree with Nite Hawk, get a vet to look at her to make a decision on whether she should be culled or not.

Hormones reek havoc on all females , so I agree 100% about getting a vet to check her out. He/she should be able to tell immediately if she is cystic.

Yes she aborted at the end of February. She hasn't bulled up; looks the same. She is no more aggressive than before. She is the boss cow, and when it comes to me, she is the most gentle cow I own. She is the lead cow, and I can call her name and she will come. All of the other cows follow her. She would be a loss to me more ways than one. I will get this taken care of.
Thanks everyone!
Chuckie