Hoof problem, help please.

Help Support CattleToday:

3rdgeneration farmer

Reaction score
I have a 2yo cow that just had her first calf 8-26-07. She is swollen around the top of her hoof where the 2 toes go together. I didnt see anything in it. No open wound. I thought maybe "corn" not sure though. I noticed this on 10-20-07. Please give me some idea on what is and how to treat it.

i dont see anything sticking down between them like a corn. Is Oxytetrycycline for 3-5 days really fix foot rot? I put topical foot rot medicine on it tonight. Ive got kids to myself tonight and I couldnt do much with them and it was raining here.

so far ive always gotten results using la200. some people say excenel is better

3rdgeneration farmer":15ma96q9 said:
I have Duramycin handy. It's oxytetrycycline like LA200. I try it. Thank you much.

My way of treating footrot, especially when the cattle are in the veld and daily treatment isn't possible, is to give one shot of shortacting oxytetracycline just to get the levels high in the blood and to follow up with a shot of longacting the next day.

Just make sure it isn't something like a small stone stuck between the hooves, that will also cause a swelling just above the hoof.

If I have a problem with hoof rot I give them LA-200 and sulfer pills. The pills are spendy but I give them one shot of the LA, sulfer pills and turn them out. I dont worry about it after that. It always clears it up fast. I dont know if they are actually sulfer but sulfer something or another.

Latest posts