Honey

Help Support CattleToday:

wacocowboy

Reaction score
So a while back I bought some honey from a peach orchard. Big mistake now I am a honey snob and store honey just don't cut it anymore. The peach orchard is a lil over an hour away kinda far to drive just for honey. I started looking for fresh honey a lot closer found a place but I ain't sure which one to buy. They have Central Texas Wild Flower, Clover, Yaupon Holly, Pecan Honeydew, Sesame Seed, White Brush, Alfalfa, Buckwheat, Christmas Berry, Creamed Cotton, Huajillo, Orange Blossom, Snowberry, and Tallow Tree honey. Some of this honey is light some is dark and some has kind of a red tint to it. It is all pure raw honey some of it is local I would guess some of it is not local. Any advice on what I should try?

You'd think anybody with that many flavors would have a "sampler" jar of each one. Help you out a little bit.

Alfalfa if you like it light and sweet buckwheat if you like it like syrup. Citrus honey from CA is different from citrus from FL so that will depend on which direction they're sending bees but our citrus honey is amber and fragrant with a spice flavor. Tallow would be a safe middle of the road place to start.

from one honey addict to another why not some of each, and conduct your own test. BTW I agree on the local honey it will help you with any allergies you might have.

I have just about quit eating honey. I used to eat a teaspoon a day with a few almonds for energy. It worked really well. I am afraid it will take more than a teaspoon now. I usually eat tupelo. I have some orange blossom now that I need to start eating. Would like to try some peach blossom and Christmas berry. I like the light colored kinds. We have an apiary a few miles away that has really good local honey, which is great for allergies.

Word of caution. Most of the guys here thaT sell honey, have it shipped to them in barrels, and repackage it. I wouldn't nece be getting immunity to the pollen in my area that way.

1982vett":2cotftz3 said:
I hear peach blossom is the best...... :)

I never developed a taste for honey.

Peach Blossom is darn good I went through a bottle in a hurry. On the way home I stopped at Bush's Chicken and got me some fresh rolls dang that was good.

3waycross":2cotftz3 said:
from one honey addict to another why not some of each, and conduct your own test. BTW I agree on the local honey it will help you with any allergies you might have.

I thought about that just try them all lol. Yeah I have bad allergies and have heard local honey helps.

Honey will only help with allergies if you happen to be allergic to the plants the pollen is taken from.
Anyone ever heard of Ragweed Honey--or Salt Cedar Honey, or Southern Pine Honey?
Me either.

Eating Honey Helps with Allergies.
False ... mostly. One of the most common allergy remedy myths is that eating locally grown honey will desensitize allergy sufferers to the pollen in the air, meaning less sneezing. According to Neil Kao, an allergist and station head for the Allergic Disease and Asthma Center, simply eating local honey picked up at a farmer's market is not going to help with your oak, ragweed or juniper tree allergy. Kao said the pollen that bees pick-up from flowers is heavier than the tree and grass pollen that are the main causes of springtime allergy misery.

However, one limited study found that people allergic to birch pollen who ate honey with birch pollen added were able to control their allergy symptoms more than those using mainstream allergy medications

I worked as a beekeeper years ago, and while we mostly sold bees and queens, there was some honey production as well. Generally the lighter colored honey is considered to be a better grade, and is worth more money. Some of the best is nearly white. We made a good bit of tallow honey, but never in bottles. The folks I worked for told me it wasn't good table honey, and was all sold in barrels for industrial use, such as putting in breakfast cereal. It does have a stronger taste.

greybeard":1mbkwq42 said:
Honey will only help with allergies if you happen to be allergic to the plants the pollen is taken from.
Anyone ever heard of Ragweed Honey--or Salt Cedar Honey, or Southern Pine Honey?
Me either.

Just because a plant is not a nectar plant doesn't mean the bees won't collect pollen from them, in fact ragweed can be a big pollen source for bees. Yes it is stored as bee bread in separate cells but it will also get in the honey that is being stored at the same time. FWIW.

I like Longhorn Trail Apiary or something like that. Buy a lot each year. One trip and I stock up.

wacocowboy":feyo5npa said:
store honey just don't cut it anymore

Probably because that store honey isn't really honey, seems most of it comes from China and is mixed with high fructose corn syrup, plus chemicals and antibiotics. If there is one thing we don't want to import from China it is food.

Anyway, I'll stick with local honey, I love the stuff! I will always be willing to pay more for food grown locally for a variety of reasons, and hopefully most people feel the same way.

Honey is honey, you say? Well yes and no. Honey from bees that feed on specific plants render honey with unique flavors. To taste the difference, try honey on plain toast or a biscuit. Or, do what professional tasters do and try some all by itself spooned out of the jar.

Here are some flavor profiles to expect from different types of honey:
•Acacia honey is very sweet with a clean, pure, classic honey flavor.
•Alfalfa is a light honey but with a nice mild spicy note and floral aroma.
•Blueberry honey has a slight tang and a fruity flavor.
•Buckwheat is tasty on toast, but its strong and spicy flavor makes it perfect for marinades.
•Clover is the classic honey - light, sweet, floral.
•Coffee honey tends to be quite dark, with a rich, deep flavor that matches its color.
• Eucalyptus honey has just a hint of menthol flavor in it, making it perfect for stirring into tea.

•Honey Honey Bee
•Local Honey
•Raw Honey
•Pure Honey
•Wild Flower Honey

•Fireweed honey has a markedly complex flavor and a slightly buttery texture. Like buckwheat honey, it can stand up to meats, marinades, glazes, and grilling.
•Heather is pungent and almost bitter, in a good way. It's great with smoky things, or on wholesome baked goods.
•Linden honey is quite delicate and has a fresh, woodsy aroma perfect with tea.
•Macadamia Nut honey has a distinctive sweet and nutty flavor with a lovely floral scent.
•Orange Blossom is widely available but watch out, much of the orange blossom honey on the market is artificially flavored. Real orange blossom honey is mild and citrus-scented.
•Palmetto is a mild honey with balanced sweetness.
•Sage is a lot like palmetto honey - mild, sweet, flexible.
•Sourwood is caramel-like and buttery and delicious on toast, biscuits, muffins, and any other vehicle you can think of.
•Tupelo honey is somehow sweeter than other honeys, but with a lovely balanced mild flavor.
•Wildflower honey is light and fruity yet richly flavored at the same time.

http://localfoods.about.com/od/recommen ... lavors.htm

sim.-ang.king":3ufiara9 said:
Antibiotics in honey that's a new one.
there are plenty of articles on it, but I think it is due to them trying to treat a colony collapse with antibiotics, not real sure though. They put a lot of dangerous chemicals in toothpaste, dog food and baby formula which is disturbing (melamine I think?).

"Chinese honey contaminated with chloramphenicol and other illegal animal antibiotics which are dangerous"

Latest posts