Honey Locust Trees

Help Support CattleToday:

Longhorn87

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience clearing honey locust trees/shrubs before. I hear it can be a real pain. This is land I am looking at purchasing. What should I expect? What about flats in tractor tires?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 30
How much sweat equity are you wanting to put into this? Using the basal stem spray program (spray a 2 to 3 inch band on each trunk or stem) helped my father-in law clean up a place. He used a 3 gallon pump up sprayer with the following recipe he got from the county agent: 3/4 gallon of Remedy; 38 ozs. of CideKick II (a penetrating surfactant) and 1.95 gal. of diesel. He told me that in 2 weeks you can see the ones you missed.

I am willing to put in a lot of work. This property borders my house, so I will be able to spend a lot of my time at home working on this. Is it safe to spray this on trees that cattle are grazing around? Sorry if that is a dumb question, I am totally new to this.

One of my land lords used a heavy duty shredder on the skid steer to get anything less than 4 inches around knocked down and chipped up and he pilled and burned the big ones. We just spraying all the regrowth with various mixtures. It was easy and way less chemical although I don't know how many skid steer hours he put into it.

I am willing to put in a lot of work. This property borders my house, so I will be able to spend a lot of my time at home working on this. Is it safe to spray this on trees that cattle are grazing around? Sorry if that is a dumb question, I am totally new to this.
Most chemicals don't have grazing restrictions. You can look on the label on the bottle or look up the label on the internet to find out.

In this time of drought, I'm chainsawing for the cows to eat.

I also shred them with a brush hog up to 3" in diameter. So far no flats but I push push them down with the front loader.

A mulcher on the front of s skid steer will make quick work of those, and save a lot of time and cussing in the process. Even if you spray them all, you still have to deal with them. And once dry the thorns are even harder.

Pull them up and every broken root will sprout a new plant. They are our go-to flat makers here. And the tire guy has to get the thorn out of the ire or it will keep puncturing the tube. A real dislike for me.
Yes the roots will grow a new plant but we prefer spot spraying the regrowth over trying to spray a larger plant.

Yes the roots will grow a new plant but we prefer spot spraying the regrowth over trying to spray a larger plant.
I have done foliage spray but on bigger ones I like the dormant basal spray with the diesel fuel and remedy. Whatever you like.

Has anyone had any experience clearing honey locust trees/shrubs before. I hear it can be a real pain. This is land I am looking at purchasing. What should I expect? What about flats in tractor tires?
We bought 210 acres that was covered in Honey locust. It's hard to even imagine how bad it was now. We used a skid steer with a CLfab tree puller to do some of it but finally bought a dozer to do the bulk of it. I would not mulch them. Everyone I know that mulches them has thorns everywhere and regrowth like you wouldn't believe. I could clear 3-5 acres a day with the puller. It would pull the roots out then you can shake the dirt off the root ball to get a good burn. Grazon Nxt will kill the locust too but it takes 2-3 months for bigger ones to die. We sprayed the regrowth with Nxt for several yrs after clearing was complete. Not sure how many acres you are looking at but you can buy a used skid steer and sell it for nearly what you paid these days.

We make the rounds of the pastures every year and snip little ones off and spray the 'stump' with Tordon. Then pitch the little bastards in the back of the truck or utv and haul 'em to a ditch.
Several years back, we missed patrolling for 2-3 years... ended up with some that got 10 ft tall and big around as my forearm. Cows and deer eat the pods and pass scarified seed out in starter packets of fertilizer... so if you have mature, pod-bearing trees, the cows & deer will spread them around. Even the little thorns on first-year seedlings will eventually migrate through tractor tires to poke holes in innertubes.
There are some big mama trees along my creek, so big I couldn't reach around them even if they didn't have thorns... I've been girdling them with the chainsaw and squirting Tordon in the cut. Kills the hell out of them, but I'm sure I'll be dealing with the thorns for years as they fall apart. Just so many of them... gotta keep at it.

We make the rounds of the pastures every year and snip little ones off and spray the 'stump' with Tordon. Then pitch the little bastards in the back of the truck or utv and haul 'em to a ditch.
Several years back, we missed patrolling for 2-3 years... ended up with some that got 10 ft tall and big around as my forearm. Cows and deer eat the pods and pass scarified seed out in starter packets of fertilizer... so if you have mature, pod-bearing trees, the cows & deer will spread them around. Even the little thorns on first-year seedlings will eventually migrate through tractor tires to poke holes in innertubes.
There are some big mama trees along my creek, so big I couldn't reach around them even if they didn't have thorns... I've been girdling them with the chainsaw and squirting Tordon in the cut. Kills the hell out of them, but I'm sure I'll be dealing with the thorns for years as they fall apart. Just so many of them... gotta keep at it.
I've still got some black locust that were too big to push over with our dozer. Not sure why I haven't thought of slicing into them with a chainsaw but I'm going to start now. I keep tordon on hand too.

.75 gal Remedy 38 oz CideKick II and 1.95 gal diesel = 3 gallon batch
Butch, that recipe fills a 3 gallon pump up sprayer. You need to open the nozzle to shoot a stream. About half pressure and spray 2 to 3 inch band on the slick bark. One tank full will get 500 to 700 stems if you use it judiciously.

Follow BC's advise although I don't really think you need the sidekick when using diesel. . They are actually easy to kill and breakoff much quicker than mesquite. Plus they seem to stay dead if killed with chemical. I wouldn't touch them with any mechanical machine until they were dead. If they are coming up from the roots, the killing process takes way longer.
I had a grove of them, maybe 25 trees about 15' tall. I used the diesel remedy basal spray treatment and they were dead in 6 months and broke off in 9. A storm came through and layed them all over. I stacked them right where they were and burned them. End of problem.

If you have a field full of them, do them in sections no bigger in size than you want to drag them. When they are dead they dry up and don't weigh anything. They burn very quick and very hot, thorns and all.