Honey hay 'pic'

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Picture_516.jpg

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the bee's without loosing the hay bale?

Bee keepers use a smoker to calm the bees before they work them. Most of them also use coveralls, gloves, and a protective head covering. Been there, done that, and got tired of eating honey.

Some breeds of bees are much more agressive, just like some breeds of cattle. Water should work unless your got yourself some of those killer bees from Africa.

Why not just stand back and spray the snot out of it with Raid?

dun

Stocker Steve":3dxufk1r said:
dun":3dxufk1r said:
Why not just stand back and spray the snot out of it with Raid?
dun

I am not sure I would want to feed hay supplemented with Raid. Could be a good wormer or grub killer though...

AFter it's sat around and aired out, the chances of a cow getting very much of the stuff is pretty slim. Some folks spray veggies with it and then eat them, of course they wash them first. Some sort of permethrin based stuff would work too I suppose. Just that Raid is handier.

dun

denoginnizer":3ddjlzw9 said:
Picture_516.jpg

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the bee's without loosing the hay bale?

That hay looks like a grass that we call broomsedge here in East Texas. Is that what it is. If it is then you may as well let the bees have it. It is not worth much as hay.

That hay is fescue, broomsedge and briar mix. Beggers cant be choosers. I booked 650 rolls of great bahia hay at 22.50 per roll. Only problem was my hay man decided that he would rather sell most of it ,to someone else, for 50.00 dollars per roll even though he had promised it to me at 22.50. Real snake in the grass type fellow. Always talking about how honest he is.

denoginnizer":3hghnvmk said:
That hay is fescue, broomsedge and briar mix. Beggers cant be choosers. I booked 650 rolls of great bahia hay at 22.50 per roll. Only problem was my hay man decided that he would rather sell most of it ,to someone else, for 50.00 dollars per roll even though he had promised it to me at 22.50. Real snake in the grass type fellow. Always talking about how honest he is.

He's not a bible toter is he? Can't stand the folks who ride around with a bible on their dashboard using this as an advertisement for their personal business gain. :mad: Just keep in mind, the world is round - he'll need you soon enough and then .... the rest is up to you. Hope you didn't get in too big of a bind. Been there myself ... that is when I decided to raise my own hay. Can't make money feeding them out of a bag and you sure can't starve a profit out of em.

Somebody posted that mixing some liquid dish washing detergent with water would kill wasps.

It does kill wasps. Just a small amount to a cup. They don't die as quick as with fuel.

Hit them and move.

Widex as posted above my do the same.

Those little guys are needed...by us all. A nuisance at times..agreed..but important to our overall eco needs. Don't kill 'em.

Call a local bee keeper and I bet he will harvest them for you. If you can't find a bee keeper leave the bale to the last and the cold will no doubt send them to a hollow tree nearby...hopefully.(they look like a hive split hovered over the new queen)

I would get a smoky rag and smoke them some , cover up well and unroll the bale. Put the stock on it if you can after a few hours ,or pick it up again after they have left. If it is on the ground they will swarm pretty soon after you lay it out and they will move the queen to a new home . They would not like to be on the ground

put it out like it is. as long as you can get it out there itll git ate. cows will disturb it enugh slow enough that the bees will just go away. unless you can let it sit til its cold.

but if you get a co2 extinguisher and blast the hell out of it youll freeze em slow enough theyll drop off and ya can squish em

I don't know how many times I've had bees in bales. Just spray it and feed. No big deal. 8) :cboy:

dieselbeef":1figyg28 said:
put it out like it is. as long as you can get it out there itll git ate. cows will disturb it enugh slow enough that the bees will just go away. unless you can let it sit til its cold.

but if you get a co2 extinguisher and blast the be nice out of it youll freeze em slow enough theyll drop off and ya can squish em

Honey bees are very valuable for pollenation. In our area, in recent yrs, they are more scarce than hay.

Latest posts