Hominy feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

jbar

Reaction score
I can buy hominy feed for $100/ton I just want to know how this compares with ddg at $140/ton.
And if I mix them say 1/2hf and 1/2ddg what the protien and fat would be.
Or maybe 2/3ddg and 1/3hf.
Mainly want to know if the hominy feed is cheep at that price I have fed #1000 before and they eat it very well.
I am feeding stocker and cuttin bulls mainly.
Would like to know how to figure energy ,fat,protien ect for feed ration if anyone could help with that.
Wish i payed more attention in ag class hind sight 20/20!

I know nothing about hominy but distillers has a wide variation in its nutritional analysis. Even from the same plant I see big swings in protein content, moisture, and fat content.

Oklahoma State has ration calculators you can download for free--
They are only as good as the figures you enter for nutrient values- most ingredients you can find on the web- some you have to analyze what you are using. DDG and Hominy are common and you can find them on the web(search ######.ration nutrient values.
Figures will never be 100% on ANYTHING(except for the single sample you analyze)

I use the OSUN one.

jbar":10jk0x0n said:
I can buy hominy feed for $100/ton I just want to know how this compares with ddg at $140/ton.
And if I mix them say 1/2hf and 1/2ddg what the protien and fat would be.
Or maybe 2/3ddg and 1/3hf.
Mainly want to know if the hominy feed is cheep at that price I have fed #1000 before and they eat it very well.
I am feeding stocker and cuttin bulls mainly.
Would like to know how to figure energy ,fat,protien ect for feed ration if anyone could help with that.
Wish i payed more attention in ag class hind sight 20/20!

Hominy at that price is a good buy....but DDG at $140 is the better buy. Mixed half and half you'd have about a 18% protein feed depending on the DDG. Just make sure they also get plenty of roughage in addition to the grain mix.

I thought the ddg was a little high that price is for the big bulk bags.
If I had a place to store a truck load it would be $129/ton delivered.
I feed 4# per head per day ddg
If I go with the hominy feed I could feed 5.5# per head pre day for the same cost.
If I go with a 1/2hf/1/2ddg I could feed 4.5# per head pre day for the same cost.
I thats where I need help which one will I get the most gain.
I am not trying to fatten just want to grow and keep steady gaining 1.5-2# per day ?

jbar":8gaiu17c said:
If I go with the hominy feed I could feed 5.5# per head pre day for the same cost.
If I go with a 1/2hf/1/2ddg I could feed 4.5# per head pre day for the same cost.
I am not trying to fatten just want to grow and keep steady gaining 1.5-2# per day ?
I used to get it at bulk prices by hauling plastic 55 gallon drums with the metal ring keepers for the lids to the mill hand shoveling them full and just paying for them by weight. I had 5 drums and it was a pain to get them unloaded from the truck but it sure saved dollars and made it easy to store

jbar":1ndxvozi said:

Not really jbar....don't know about feed prices in your area but around here shelled corn will cost you more than what they're pricing you DDG and with the DDG you're getting a minimum of 3x the protein, 4 times the fat and equal energy to the corn. Personally if you want to use both I'd probably mix it about 5 parts hominy to 1 part DDG. That will give you plenty of protein, some bypass protein and more than enough energy.

Thanks for replys.
I think a will do some mixing maybe start at 2/3hf and 1/3ddg.
When i first started feeding ddg a friend of mine bought it by the truck load and i just went over and used 5gal buckets to put it in sacks.
But he has cut back on numbers and dosnt want to buy a truck afraid it will go bad before its all fed up.Any one know about how long ddg will stay fresh?
I have a plant within 100 miles but they have such a local market that they keep running out so price is higher than if delivered from somwhere way off.

DDG or dry distillers will store as long as dry grain. I use modified so it only last 7-10 days depending on how warm it is outside.

novaman":2zqfltjc said:
DDG or dry distillers will store as long as dry grain. I use modified so it only last 7-10 days depending on how warm it is outside.
Do you mix the modified with something? My neighbor feeds it straight without anything but some poor quality round rolls of hay. I have been debating doing the same thing. He fills his troughs up once a day.

TexasBred":2pom4dj7 said:
novaman":2pom4dj7 said:

Modified wet??
Yeah it is wet but they call it modified because it is dried to 50% dry matter. Saves the plant from the extra cost to dry it all the way and I like it because it helps hold the ration together better.

TSR":2pom4dj7 said:
Do you mix the modified with something? My neighbor feeds it straight without anything but some poor quality round rolls of hay. I have been debating doing the same thing. He fills his troughs up once a day.
I mostly use it in a TMR but I do feed some to my heifers straight. You wouldn't want to let them pig out on it. I limit what the heifers get by weighing out the pail I use to feed them. I give about 6 pounds per head. They eat it like candy and it is a good source of protein and energy. The one problem I have is my water is high in sulfate and it just so happens distillers does have a higher level of sulfur to it.

TexasBred":wwdg7ouj said:
Nova..what's the diff. in price of modified wet and dry in your area?
Modified is at $67 for this month. I don't know the price of dry currently but it's usually double what modified is plus a few bucks. My guess would be $140.

Latest posts