home remedy for thrush

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Was shoeing a couple horses today,one had a mild case of thrush,going by the vet supply house in the morning,but ...........any home remedies out there ?
good luck

Bleach don't work on really bad cases, does not get in there and dry it out good enough. Fameldahyde works great, drys the whole foot out but hard to get it anymore, otherwise iodine - make sure it is the strong or tincture of iodine - 7%. The normal off the counter iodine is only .10% and don't do squat. The off the counter thrush treatments suck. I dig out as much as I can with a sharp hoof knife and then stuff a saturated cotton ball in there with a hoof pick and re-treat every 3 to 4 days becasue these treatments are pretty harsh.

What has always worked for us on real bad or mild cases of thrush is bleach.

1. Wash whole hoof with iodine soap. (also, cleaning out the dirt and as much of the infected tissue as possible)
2. Hold hoof up flat. (Where the bottom of hoof is facing up)
3. Pour straight (not mixed) bleach into hoof bottom.
4. Hold hoof up until the bleach stops fizzing. (It will look like when you pour peroxide into cuts)

Do that 2x a day til the thrush, sometimes known as "hoof rot", goes away. Should take about 1-2 weeks to clear up.

I don't see very many thrush problems, at least not any that can't be solved with diluted bleach. Clean it out real good and soak in the bleach mixture, then keep it clean and dry till the next treatment, at least once a day but twice would be better. Koppertox will work but you have to make sure to get all the bacteria out before appling it becasue if not it will seal it off with the thrush bacteria in there. Tell the owner that a rusty hoof knife can cause it though. ;-)

Latest posts