Home made penetrating oil

Help Support CattleToday:

Never tried that although it surprises me to see the brake fluid in the mix, it's fairly corrosive.

I've heard good reviews on a mix of acetone and ATF, but never used it.

cfpinz":2o50ukfy said:
Never tried that although it surprises me to see the brake fluid in the mix, it's fairly corrosive.

the guy said the brake fluid will "climb on metal" so it will penetrate better

cfpinz":341fb7v1 said:

I've used this mix before and its great.

I'll have to give the other one a try to cause the acetone in this mix is sometimes troublesome.

Jogeephus":2ep8swod said:
cfpinz":2ep8swod said:

I've used this mix before and its great.

I'll have to give the other one a try to cause the acetone in this mix is sometimes troublesome.

How is the acetone troublesome. I made a batch of this and it worked well although you can see in the bottle that the acetone and ATF separate after awhile and needs to be shook up before I use it.

I wonder if this would work to free up a Farmall that locked up from setting to long with out motor being turnover.
What would be best to put in plug holes.
Thanks

Train":3m8tqg27 said:
How is the acetone troublesome.

I've tried to keep it in little oil dispensers with the trigger so it will be at the ready cause I really like the stuff but the acetone always eats the paint and the washers in the fittings of the dispensers. Only way I know how to store it is in one of those old metal oil dispensers that you push on the bottom.

I was kind of expecting that trouble so I just put it in a cheap plastic spray bottle. Been about two months and so far so good, but time will tell.

Mat Man":2xw2rf17 said:
I wonder if this would work to free up a Farmall that locked up from setting to long with out motor being turnover.
Thanks
If its a diesel motor use diesel
If its a petrol motor use engine oil
About a cup in each at least and let sit a week then turn over with a spanner if possible or put it in top gear and tow it a little

Mat Man":kbso6ehn said:
Thanks
on the Farmalls it is usually the cranks shaft and rod bearings is where they freeze up at!
The journals on the crankshaft are not in oil when they are at the top 1/3 of their stroke and they will seize from sitting I have fixed a few of these
easiest way is to drop the oil pan and take the rod caps off and tap them lightly then place a little oil on the crank and put back together

Good luck

Back in the real old days we would put Pepsi Cola in the plug holes over night, the next day put a little oil in and turn it with a wernch. The acid in the Pepsi would eat the rust right out and it would be free, Once it was free spin it with the starter to blow everything out, Put plugs in and drive away,
At least thats my story an i stick to it,
Bill :cboy:

Says a lot for Pepsi in your stomach
Do they warn the people who get their stomachs stapled not to drink Pepsi?

tytower":3vhg32dd said:
Says a lot for Pepsi in your stomach
Do they warn the people who get their stomachs stapled not to drink Pepsi?
I've heard the same about Coke. They give all these horror stories about how it will break down a steak and all that sort of thing. The thing one must keep in mind is that these are weak acids. Now some will argue that any kind of acid will cause damage. Yes it will but how strong do you think the acid in your stomach is? Far stronger than the acid you would be adding by drinking Coke or Pepsi or anything like that. Sometimes we have to stop and think about these things to realize when some are filling us full of smoke. But if anybody wants to believe all the bad about soft drinks you could always drink a nice cold glass of milk! Milk is nearly neutral on the pH scale and sure goes down good on a hot day. Us dairy farmers sure do appreciate your demand for such a high quality drink :lol: .

Latest posts