Holy schmoly ya gatta be rich to be a beef farmer....

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Just restocked my supplies to get ready for calving in a couple of weeks and boy are they screwing the Alberta farmers for sure.

Had to pay $17.95 for one package of colostrum=one feeding.Was $12.95 last year. :mad: :mad: :mad:

You think with the strong dollar some of the prices would finally be reflective of it.

Of course it is made in Alberta but still. :roll: :roll: I hope all the cows are good moms or a person could go broke real fast.

It's tempting to get colostrum from local dairy farms but not all of them only save from only the 8yr olds and up. :?:

I am not even going to comment on the new price for tags :x .

Hillsdown, was that the green or red bag
I forget which one but, wait lets see if ihave one

eureka

head start red bag from local co-op last year price 19.95 containing 60 gr IgG....225 grams
red bag from the vet same brand but 100 IgG close to 40 about 400g

calfs choice total from the vet, green bag 85 Igg was close to 30 something. about 400g

tags brutal, check off here is 5.00, calves are in debt before they hit the ground

hillsdown":230dqfi9 said:
Just restocked my supplies to get ready for calving in a couple of weeks and boy are they screwing the Alberta farmers for sure.

Had to pay $17.95 for one package of colostrum=one feeding.Was $12.95 last year. :mad: :mad: :mad:

You think with the strong dollar some of the prices would finally be reflective of it.

Of course it is made in Alberta but still. :roll: :roll: I hope all the cows are good moms or a person could go broke real fast.

It's tempting to get colostrum from local dairy farms but not all of them only save from only the 8yr olds and up. :?:

I am not even going to comment on the new price for tags :x .

Strong dollar?? I find this ironic because of the medicines that alot of the US folks have wanted from Canada were less expensive.

[/quote]
And seems like when you start to cut costs a little the prices on everything goes up on you.
Cal[/quote]

That has been happening
ALL YEAR
I spend money to save money- then the costs go up again and I am right back where I was- only with more infrastructure costs.

Its been driving me nuts. I would have been better off to have just taken the year off :)

Going to be interesting when we figure the cost per head per day for the new calves.
I'm wondering what the hay market will be like this summer.
Going to be pencil sharpening time again.
DMc