holstien milking 700 days

Help Support CattleToday:

glover36

Reaction score
this year my bosses friend has a red holstien we sold him milking for around 700 days and has been brbed over 15 times and milking 60 poundss a day

my bosses friend has a cow going on her lactattion for 700 days straight and still going

glover36":2h94i638 said:
my bosses friend has a cow going on her lactattion for 700 days straight and still going

If she is giving 60 lbs. per day, this must be some sort of record!

Actually 60x700=42,000. That does not even come close to the Holstein record......for a 205 day lactation.

Brandonm2":1s249cv8 said:
Actually 60x700=42,000. That does not even come close to the Holstein record......for a 205 day lactation.

Brandon, If she is giving 60 lbs per/day and has been milking for 700 days, just think what she was giving at 20 or 100 days.

I'd go back in the dairy business for a 100 like her!

MikeC":34nihr11 said:

You'd be bankrupt before long too. She won't breed. He said she'd been serviced 15 times and never settled.

You'd need 100 that hit breed average on a 205 day record and bred back with in 90 days.
And still probably go bankrupt with the milk prices like they are.

Muratic":11vmglsi said:
MikeC":11vmglsi said:

You'd be bankrupt before long too. She won't breed. He said she'd been serviced 15 times and never settled.

You'd need 100 that hit breed average on a 205 day record and bred back with in 90 days.
And still probably go bankrupt with the milk prices like they are.

I wouldn't care if she bred or not if she milked for 700 days and was still producing 60 lbs/day. Obviously she got bred at least one time!

You are correct about the milk prices though. :shock:

MikeC":2955prmw said:
Brandonm2":2955prmw said:

Brandon, If she is giving 60 lbs per/day and has been milking for 700 days, just think what she was giving at 20 or 100 days.

BUT she is not typical. Most dairy cows fall off after ~250 days because they have lost so much condition early in lactation that they can't keep it up. We have all seen lots of open Holsteins who look like a train wreck where they didn't settle and the guy milked em down for ~350 days and then sold them. IF the cow is in condition to keep lactating after 700 days I suspect she was NOT a world beater 650 days ago. I could be completely wrong too.

Brandonm2":2p6djdfi said:
MikeC":2p6djdfi said:
Brandonm2":2p6djdfi said:

BUT she is not typical. Most dairy cows fall off after ~250 days because they have lost so much condition early in lactation that they can't keep it up. We have all seen lots of open Holsteins who look like a train wreck where they didn't settle and the guy milked em down for ~350 days and then sold them. IF the cow is in condition to keep lactating after 700 days I suspect she was NOT a world beater 650 days ago. I could be completely wrong too.

Other way around, Brandon. Milk production drops over time - that's just nature. A beef cow isn't giving much milk at 180 days in milk when you wean that calf. As far as dairy cows, most of them put on weight as their milk production declines. I find that I can usually make a pretty good guess as to a cow's production just based on her body condition. :lol:

I heard about a cow like the one mentioned too - 50,000lb cow that milked for 3 years straight and they could not get her to settle. Think in the end they had to dry her off before she'd breed, but I'm not certain. Don't remember all the little details.

I know dairymen who put cows on bst and never expect to breed them, milk them for a couple of years or until their milk production drops below the cost of production. Then she is culled and replaced by another unit as they would call them.

rkm - I heard something like that the other day. Interesting you should mention it. Only in this case it was a dairy fellow talking to my vet and saying that he'd heard of commercial dairies (4,000+) that would SPAY their cows after their first calf. Nearly eliminated the calf raising process, completely eliminated AI, heat detection, preg checks, etc. Said they'd last 12-14 months on BST, average, before they'd get shipped and replaced by another cow. Fellow wanted to know if my vet had ever heard of that -- my vet's face was like this :shock: -- and he says "No, and don't spay your cows, Ron". LOL.

Brandonm2":38vdrxqf said:
In 205 days to get to 42,000 pounds she would have to produce 204# per day. That is just to tie. Do they milk that heavy?

Latest posts