Holstein % yield?

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry said:
Stocker Steve said:
We have one a mile away, and a second one about 20 miles away. They work really well with the ones that will not go into a corral. Kind of a low cost safari. :hat:

Just curious, how do you put them down in the field? I assume just shoot them. If so, what caliber?

22mag. Solid fmj 40gr bullets.
The previous owner of the locker plant was GOOD, but 40+ years of experience you get that way. When he went on "cow safaris" Charlie used a 30.06. In later years that's what he used in all emergency bull jobs. He just didn't move that fast anymore.
We had an emergency on a January day that the high was below zero. A bred hfr broke her Canon bone out in a pasture. When Charlie got there he went right to my gun rack in the shop. He said he left the plant in such a rush that he for got to grab his rifle. He wanted to know if the 22lr on the rack worked.
He rode out to the pasture on the steps of the loader tractor. 40yrs from the hfr, iron sights, using the running tractor for a rest. One shot, never knew what hit her.

Talked to the locker this morning. The hanging wt on that str is 1,063lbs. The sides weighed 524 and 539. If you don't pencil shrink him for the 14hrs between his live wt and when he was butchered. Then he yielded 57%. His live wt was 1,870lbs.
Their going to let him hang 10-14 days. I'm getting the 539 side. No bone coming home. Can't wait to see how many lbs of beef it will be.

Stocker Steve said:
It is a very special feeling when the .280 stones them. Revenge is sweet.

I put enough Xylazine in an 800lb heifer this past weekend to knock down a 2800lb animal and she wouldn't stay down long enough for me to get close to her. Wound up roping her off the back of a flatbed and dragging her into the trailer with the pickup. That was a pretty good feeling when the rear gate slammed.

Not usually a rope um and drag um operation here. The FEL tractor was down one time, so I did drag a head shot one back from the neighbors creek bottom using a utility tractor. :hat:

Caused a stir with some of the old timers. First I was a bad person because the outlaw steer had the jumping gene, then I was a bad person because I cured the outlaw.

Stocker Steve said:
Not usually a rope um and drag um operation here. The FEL tractor was down one time, so I did drag a head shot one back from the neighbors creek bottom using a utility tractor. :hat:

Caused a stir with some of the old timers. First I was a bad person because the outlaw steer had the jumping gene, then I was a bad person because I cured the outlaw.

Lol,I know that feeling.
Several years ago I was hired to dissolve a cattle here that had no management. I was told up front that the old bull in the herd could not be caught, and if you got him in a catch pen you couldn't hold him. When I went to see what I was getting in to. This big bull left his cows and advertised that we were in his pasture.
It took two weeks to get the rest of the misfits caught. During that time one of the cows came in heat,and the yrling or 2 yr old uncut calves started fighting with the old bull and injured him. At the end of two weeks the big bull couldn't stand up. The owner asked if I could put him down. I said sure. As we were dragging him out of the pasture the neighbors came home and asked what had happened. Then they got all mushy and said they remembered when that bull was born in that pasture... Eight years ago!
No wonder he thought it was his.

Latest posts