holstein taking another calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Dean the hobby farmer

Reaction score
Bought holstein cow and another calf to nurse on cow to keep her milked out.When I brought home the cow the other calf did not come home with the cow.The people that I bought the cow from say that they would keep the calf there to give it mothers milk in a bucket.Now the cow had her calf but the other calf does not seem to what suck on the cow how can I get this other calf to learn to nurse on the cow the calf does not know how nurse ,I hold the calf face down on cows bag and sray milk in its face and mouth no way it will not nurse help me out someone thanks Dean

Time and patience is what it usually takes. Not ot mention that it is easier if you have either a hungry calf, or an older hungry calf, whis his even better........
I go through this every time I graft calves onto my holstiens and Jerseys.

Good Luck :cboy:

Oh nd by the way, squirting milk into the calf's face does nothing but confuse it...... GENTLY push the calf into toward the cows udders, and insert a finger into it's mouth to make sure it will suck, then ease the teat into its mouth... It may take dozens of times to get him to figure it out, but when he does,.... all should be well.

Most daires teach thier calves to drink out of a bucket and that is good if they never have to nurse from a cow.the calf should have been taught to drink from a bottle instead a bucket .I t will take more work on your part but you should be able to get it going , Good luck

if he will suck on a nipple bottle you can put a little milk in it & when he starts sucking lead him to the cows teat & he should suck her after a few tries