Holstein steer as grafted calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus

Reaction score
Recently we lost two first calves for no reason. But our bad luck changes as we got 4 calves born on same day and are thriving. I cannot afford another loss next time and I was wondering if its dumb idea if you graft a local Holstein calf on the cow then sell it on weaning time with other calves at the sale barn? Your thoughts.

I would. When raising holstein calves a huge expense are those initial milk costs and labor, so if the cow is feeding the calf they should do well at weaning.

alisonb":30iiux94 said:
I would. When raising holstein calves a huge expense are those initial milk costs and labor, so if the cow is feeding the calf they should do well at weaning.
So if I am getting a Holstein calf at a local dairy farm, what I should look at and choosing a perfect candidate for the grafting? Like large calf vs small calf at same age? Obviously I wouldn't pick a sick calf.

I have done it a number of times. It has always worked for me. You wont get as much for the calf but it will cover the expense of the cow for the year. I know there are people on here that don't because they are worried about any bugs that might come with the calf from the dairy. That doesn't bother me because there is one dairy literally next door and several others just up stream that I have got calves from. Their fields flood. My fields flood. Any bugs they have are already here. Just get the calves from a good clean dairy and you should be alright. My guide for picking a calf is get one with lots of suction. You stick out a finger and he wants your whole arm.

We done it several times. The more aggressive the calf is when sucking your finger or other calves ears the better.
A calf with the "want to" even after cow butts or kicks him makes the grafting go faster than a timid calf.

Latest posts