Holstein heifer should I....

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunny Do Ranch

Reaction score
I have a holstein hefier that was born in May 2007 we are going to breed her this year and I am thinking of breeding her AI with sexed semen to another holstein to get a heifer to sell. What we are debating though is to breed her to our bull this year and try AI next year. There is a diary guy 1 hour away from us that will do it for us. But we are wondering if it is worth trying to AI a heifer or just let her run with out bull this year?
What do you guys and gals think?

It's strongly recommended to only use sexed semen on virgin heifers. I have encountered dairies that use it on some cows, but they have a low conception/pregnancy rate. In your place, I'd AI her once or maybe twice with sexed semen, then run her with the bull if she won't settle. Don't spend too much money trying to get her to settle AI... holsteins have lower fertility than most beef cows anyway.

Keep in mind unless this dairy person has sexed semen he'll let you buy from him, you'll be buying 10 straws of sexed semen, and that gets expensive quick. It's fragile and so the semen reps won't split it.

milkmaid":1kuwqi6g said:
It's strongly recommended to only use sexed semen on virgin heifers. I have encountered dairies that use it on some cows, but they have a low conception/pregnancy rate. In your place, I'd AI her once or maybe twice with sexed semen, then run her with the bull if she won't settle. Don't spend too much money trying to get her to settle AI... holsteins have lower fertility than most beef cows anyway.

Keep in mind unless this dairy person has sexed semen he'll let you buy from him, you'll be buying 10 straws of sexed semen, and that gets expensive quick. It's fragile and so the semen reps won't split it.

Thanks for the help?
He doesn't have his own bulls but I might be able to talk him into trying it. ;-)

You only have to buy bundles of 5 straws at a time.

Your heifer should be the most fertile in her life at this young age . Do not AI unless you have seen a natural heat and if you are worried about her settling then you can always do the GNRH and prostaglandin protocol with a CIDR.

I would definitely AI her though, sexed semen or not.Make sure you use a calving ease bull.

hillsdown":tul6f30z said:

Your heifer should be the most fertile in her life at this young age . Do not AI unless you have seen a natural heat and if you are worried about her settling then you can always do the GNRH and prostaglandin protocol with a CIDR.

I would definitely AI her though, sexed semen or not.Make sure you use a calving ease bull.

I will be halter breaking her this week hopefully. She is really calm and laid back. The dairy guy that does it I have to talk to him more about it but I think I would just end up leaving her there for a while.

So is it not worth using sexed semen on her the year after she calves then?

The semen suppliers suggest that you use it on heifers only because the semen is not as potent as normal straws that have not been altered.
It does not mean that you cannot use it on cows but be prepared for it not to take. We have used it on cows with success but they were ones that always bred back on the first straw anyways . So yes, you can use it on her next year but I wouldn't worry about it now.

hillsdown":3cwravvf said:

Maybe in Canada... here in the US I tried to get my rep to split a bundle of straws for me and he said he could only sell them in groups of 10.

sexed semen is very costly.an if it was me id just use whatever your friend had in his jugg to keep costs down.

Just my opinion but I'd probably breed her to a jersey bull the first time and go from there. AI or natural service. Really doesn't matter.

Latest posts