Hole in udder...thoughts?

Help Support CattleToday:

kucala5

Reaction score
Got an old mama (already on the ship list) that has about an 1 1/2 inch hole on the inside wall of one quarter of her utter with what looks like mammary gland pushing out about 3" and a little leaking of milk from it. She acts fine, calf is well.

I suppose that she could have blown out an abscess. But I am sure that you could see a difference between an injury vs infection.
I like the "Duct tape" idea TT! My go too, Duct tape with cotex for padding!

Duct tape it is! This is why my "go to" is the gurus on this board. :cboy:

Seriously Kucala, if it is an injury and you need to cover it and keep it clean Elastocon stretches with the skin. It is a good medical grade tape that can be used in hard areas like that.

branguscowgirl":g3f6kgnh said:
Seriously Kucala, if it is an injury and you need to cover it and keep it clean Elastocon stretches with the skin. It is a good medical grade tape that can be used in hard areas like that.

That actually makes better sense than my suggestion. I'd ship her at weaning though.

On a hole like that, and considering the location of it, I think a couple stitches would be really beneficial before the duct tape!.. don't know how feasible it is for you to do though

Nesikep":14el7r0r said:
On a hole like that, and considering the location of it, I think a couple stitches would be really beneficial before the duct tape!.. don't know how feasible it is for you to do though
Nesi a good consideration. Another thing is, if milk can get out, bacteria can get in. You will likely have an infection that you will need to treat with an antibiotic. I would say that a vet consult is in order.......

Never seen or heard of something like that. Could it be similar to a hernia?

Would probably disinfect and close it up with something like micro pore and hope for the best.

Please let us know...

bird dog":1zpmxp00 said:
Are you sure it is not Mastitis? I had one that it looked like a varmint had bitten a chunk out of.
I've never seen mastitis, but that quarter had a big teat that the calf finally got to suck down with a little age and strength on her. Could it abscess and bust open a hole if it was?

Didn't get a pic, but she shipped today. The mammary gland protruding from her quarter continued to enlarge. I searched the internet and didn't see anything that looked comparable. Although she was already marked to go, can't help but be sad. We're a small operation and it's easy to get attached, our ladies are easy to get along with. She gave us a nice heifer this year. We think she was 18. RIP Dossie.

That's too bad, but the way it's gotta be sometimes. So far I've only had 2 cows get to 18, and I've been at it nearly 25 years

Latest posts