Holding pens, chutes squeeze gates

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
After a 6 month delay due to zoning problems I am finally going to start my house on a 150 ac. tract of fenced property.Even though I have not decided on stockers or cow/calf operation My question is what I can I just get by with if I only start with 10 or 15 bred cows in regards to pens, chutes & squeeze gates. Since I am in the construction biz I probably can save a lot money building it myself. I also have not decided on a bull or IA route yet because of starting out so small I do not think I will buy a bull if I go the cow/calf operation until next year. I also have an existing 10" well on the property but no watering tubs. Of course Iron Pants ( wife ) isn't real keen on me spending a lot of money on my cattle venture. I just wish she felt the same way on money with the house she expects me to build. :eek: She is also making me sell my offshore boat. :mad:

Sell the BOAT. Hang on let me get the divorice papers ready.
Man I just love going 70+ over 5' swells. Used to have a
offshore boat in Michigan, just does not fit in Tn.

I know having to sell the boat is going to be tough. If she would just sell some of her 100's of shoes I could afford both. We fish about 50 miles offshore of Daytona Beach for Grouper, Mai, Snapper, cobia, amberjack and sailfish. She never got into the fishing thing since she would get sea sick real easy :lol: so I would always have to go with my fishing buddies. We sure did have some close calls wishing that far out. We had to be rescued and towed in by the Coast Guard a few times that made her a nervous wreck.

Cracker,

My opinion. Buy a squeeze chute with a side release gate and use panels to form an alley and a sweep area. A catch area to hold your cows before moving them into the sweep can be five wire fencing or less if your smart and buy placid cows and a bull.

Lots of flexibility in using panels and they are resaleable if you decide later to raise watermelons. Fixed handling facilities for a small operation
don't make sense to me. You won't get the ideal design the first or second time so allow for change. And if you crossfence, take the same attitude and use electrically charged fences. Cheaper to build and more flexible to re-arrange.

I really think watermelons are too impersonal I'd stick with the old girls and their annual side kicks (cow and calf operation)!

Jay

Central Fl Cracker":kexv50mo said:
As a kid I pitched watermelons now that was a fun job. How expensive are squeeze chute? Also what kind of panels are they open or plywood ?

First thing you need to do, is sell that boat. If you get in the cattle business, you won't have time for it. If you are out on the high seas and a cow decides it is time, there you are.

Second thing you need to do is go to your local farm and ranch store and take a look at panels.

Third thing you need to do is figure out the specifics of what you are wanting to raise. Then you'll be able to decide on pens, chutes etc.

I don't own a squeeze chute. So far a head gate has done everything I need doing.

How expensive are squeeze chute? Also what kind of panels are they open or plywood ?

Hi Cracker,
Here is Priefert's website http://www.priefert.com/dynamic/prod_list.php

Under Cattle working equipment you can find squeeze shutes and headgates.

Under Panels, you can see what they cost. The prices might be different in your area, I know on the web site the 12' premier panel is $148, But when i priced them at orschelns Friday, they were $125

I am a cracker too. I would check with some local feed stores around to see if anyone is selling any used chutes or gates before you go down to the old tractor supply and pay a fortune for them. Sorry for you having to sell the off shore boat, maybe you should check into something like a pontoon you can take your wife in the intercoastal and still catch those salt water fish without the sea sickness and the coast guard having to get ya back in.

Cracker, One suggestion I can make... Sharpen the pencil and get it down on paper first,it's much easier to change with an eraser first.

I purchased a Filson chute with a palp cage for $2200.00 and it's worth every penny. I made me a sweep using a HD 10' gate and HD panels, then (2) 12 gauge panels to make the alley leading into the chute. I will try to get in on here for you to look at tomorrow.
I have (2) 6' gates at the exit of the chute, I can sort left/right or straight to load on the trailer.

good luck

The more you see diff types of layouts will help you decide what to do for your operation.

Mine is a rectangular corral with Cattle panel sides and a board top and middle. By panel, I mean the heavy wire kind like they sell at tractor supply or Big R. One side is solid wood and the chute area is solid wood. I have a short access gate built in right by the end where the squeeze chute is. I use a crowding gate attached to the end of the solid wood part. I use Kentucky corral panels to lock them in that end and then swing the gate to get one started towards the chute. I have holes cut along the way that I can insert pipes behind them to stop back ups. Poles are telephone poles that I got for free from Remc. Whole thing cost less than $500 not counting the chute. I paid $1750 for it. It is yellow, don't remember the brand name. Nice chute though, automatic headgate so that I can catch them by myself If I am alone.
I water them in the corral, and that is where I keep the mineral also, so that it is easy to catch them to AI or to doctor one. They are used to coming into it.

Hope this helps. Mac.

KMacGinley":3ks3uetu said:
Mine is a rectangular corral with Cattle panel sides and a board top and middle. By panel, I mean the heavy wire kind like they sell at tractor supply or Big R.
Hope this helps. Mac.

I've seen those panels and have often wondered how often cattle feel the need to test them. Have you had any such problems? Thanks!

msscamp":1drq5uyv said:
KMacGinley":1drq5uyv said:
Mine is a rectangular corral with Cattle panel sides and a board top and middle. By panel, I mean the heavy wire kind like they sell at tractor supply or Big R.
Hope this helps. Mac.

I've seen those panels and have often wondered how often cattle feel the need to test them. Have you had any such problems? Thanks!

I'm not MacGinley, but I use the heck out of those panels. They are really nice to build pens with on rented parcels, easy to expand/move. You'll have one cow every now and then that will want to challenge them, and yes, they can get over them when used alone, but those cows usually find theirself on the next trailer out of town anyways, so I have surprisingly few problems with cattle jumping them. They're also nice for laying out seperating alleys in pens until you decide exactly where you want things.

cfpinz

cfpinz":1eui8vj8 said:
msscamp":1eui8vj8 said:
KMacGinley":1eui8vj8 said:
Hope this helps. Mac.

I'm not MacGinley, but I use the heck out of those panels. They are really nice to build pens with on rented parcels, easy to expand/move. You'll have one cow every now and then that will want to challenge them, and yes, they can get over them when used alone, but those cows usually find theirself on the next trailer out of town anyways, so I have surprisingly few problems with cattle jumping them. They're also nice for laying out seperating alleys in pens until you decide exactly where you want things.

cfpinz

Thank you for answering. I can certainly see where they would be very adaptable, easy to set up and easy to move, I just wasn't sure about their ability to prevent cattle from testing them, or their ability to stand up to cattle that did.

You're welcome. The way I see it, if a cow wants out there are very few fences other than guardrail or pipe that will stop them, and I can't afford either!

Priefert CS-1 complete system. Add the palp / AI cage and you are ready to go. SO-4 squeeze (included with the CS-1) is best available. Best of luck! RGR

P.S. If you want a scale (pretty much a must with registered cattle) take a look at Tru-Test.

msscamp":2ox5o5v4 said:
cfpinz":2ox5o5v4 said:
msscamp":2ox5o5v4 said:
KMacGinley":2ox5o5v4 said:
Hope this helps. Mac.

cfpinz

Thank you for answering. I can certainly see where they would be very adaptable, easy to set up and easy to move, I just wasn't sure about their ability to prevent cattle from testing them, or their ability to stand up to cattle that did.

Sorry MS, I was talking about the cattle panels, not portable, the tall ones I hang them so the top is about 6 feet high and put a 2x6 top and middle for them to bounce off of with telephone pole posts every 8 feet. Haven't lost one yet. :D

I do not know if you have gone to any farm sales in your area, but I find that is the best place to get a lot of good used reasonably priced equipment. If you have plenty of time you can go to a lot of differente auctions and buy what is avalable a little at a time, and talk with other people and get a lot of usefull info from them while you are at the auctions. Just know what new cost is so you do not pay to much.
I have picked up a lot of good used equipment over the years at farm auctions. 2 weeks ago I bought a big box of new ear tags and a taging tool for 6 bucks, and a very nice calf puller for 9 bucks, and a portable steel feed bunk for a buck. I have watched the portable pannels and squeeze shoots and such equipment that is in perfect working condition sell for about 30% of new or less.
I have seen big rolls of good electric fence wire go for next to nothing, as well as barbed wire and used electric fence posts.
contact your local auction companies and go to their web sitee and look at the auction bills, if they have cattle equipment listed go and see what they have that is not on the sale bill, usualy you find a trailer full of odds and ends.

you could make the boat money go a long way with used equipment

Latest posts