Hobby Farmer

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
The Hobby Farmer had badly misjudged the market, bought a big string of calves way too high, and was now completely broke. Taking pity on him, a local fulltime rancher decided to hire the hobby guy as a ranch hand and give him a chance to get back on his feet.
After hiring him, the rancher asked the hobby guy, "Do you have a saddle?"

Hobby guy answered, "No, I had to sell about everyting I owned."

Taking him out to the tack room, the rancher said, "Here's a saddle you can use. You'll be catching calves and doctoring them, so you'll need a rope. Get you one from those hanging over there on the wall."

Trying to appear knowledgeable, the hobby guy carefully examined several ropes before choosing one, and then he asked... "What do you use for bait?"

herd someone introduce a hobby farmer as a "gentleman" farmer today at the sale. chuckled a little bit.

Okay, I wasn't going to tell this story, but I was at the sale barn last Saturday. They had sold the bottle calves and were doing the weaners. This guy bought several at outrageous prices. I am talking 1.70 to 2.50 a pound. When all those calves were sold, there was a delay and the auctioneer said that they had some calves to run through again.

You guessed it! He thought he'd bought those calves by the head and not the pound. I guess he thought he was getting them for 170.00 to 250.00. When he went to pay for them, I imagine he liked to died! Everyone had a good laugh.

Look, my husband and I are hobby guys, but we aint that stupid!

Lammie":22f8zl45 said:
Okay, I wasn't going to tell this story, but I was at the sale barn last Saturday. They had sold the bottle calves and were doing the weaners. This guy bought several at outrageous prices. I am talking 1.70 to 2.50 a pound. When all those calves were sold, there was a delay and the auctioneer said that they had some calves to run through again.

You guessed it! He thought he'd bought those calves by the head and not the pound. I guess he thought he was getting them for 170.00 to 250.00. When he went to pay for them, I imagine he liked to died! Everyone had a good laugh.

That is funny!

warpaint":1i3eax9k said:
aplusmnt":1i3eax9k said:
warpaint":1i3eax9k said:
Aplus, you really gotta let this hobby thang go! 8)

I know but i did not want to post it as a Tennessee joke, to many of those lately ;-)

You figger you've dug yourself in deep enough then!

Yea I think I might be deep enough, when you got me wearing a robe, watching soaps, and talking of handcuffing me to tree till I squeal like a pig. That might be time to say uncle :D

Lammie":2kp6znwo said:

Who was the brain surgeon that was the contending bidder? :lol:

The owner of the calfs, hey when you got a fish on the line jerk the reel it might be a BIG one.

MD

redfornow":3hhqohkw said:
The owner of the calfs, hey when you got a fish on the line jerk the reel it might be a BIG one.

MD

That's called being a crook. Just my $0.02.

Not gonna deny the fact that the buyer's head needs examined.

Caustic Burno":18l30skw said:
aplusmnt":18l30skw said:
warpaint":18l30skw said:

I know but i did not want to post it as a Tennessee joke, to many of those lately ;-)

Must have stepped on both feet Aplus with hobby and Tn jokes combined.

Caustic,,,,,them TN boys got some strange hobbies, not sure cattle is one of them, but I do believe there is some sheep involved though ;-)

aplusmnt":14q0ngjo said:
Caustic Burno":14q0ngjo said:
aplusmnt":14q0ngjo said:
warpaint":14q0ngjo said:

Must have stepped on both feet Aplus with hobby and Tn jokes combined.

Caustic,,,,,them TN boys got some strange hobbies, not sure cattle is one of them, but I do believe there is some sheep involved though ;-)

Gonna leave them sheeps for you Aplus. I never have liked them critters. :lol:

Who was the brain surgeon that was the contending bidder? :lol:[/quote]

I was thinking about that myself. Maybe there were two stupid people in there. Everything was going high that day, so I didn't think much of it until they brought those calves back through. Then they went for a more reasonable price, 1.20-1.30. Not that that isn't high, but it beats the crud outa 2.50.

Gotta love the inter-state banter...can almost hear the banjo music in the background. Sort of feel left out...not much to poke fun at up here, most folks are pretty much the same.
DMc

:lol: :cry: :lol:
That's why I dated a WA gal when I lived in North Idaho...very deep genetic pool, deep and narrow.
Where the Susie part of the operation came from....

Beefy":3kld2vta said:
herd someone introduce a hobby farmer as a "gentleman" farmer today at the sale. chuckled a little bit.

That term is fairly widely used up here. Usually applied to a full-time rancher who has retired but can't quite let go of all his/her cows. Quite honestly I had never heard the term 'Hobby Rancher' until I joined this board - it was always 'gentleman rancher'.

Latest posts