Hiring help on the farm

Help Support CattleToday:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE

Reaction score
I just spent a week working my cattle and doing chores around the place.Unable to find anyone that wants to work,neighbors are too busy working or are too old to be of much help. I have 40 head, had to work them all by myself.I was very thankfull that I have Murray Greys and that they are so docile.Even at that they were a handfull. I worked my bulls one day,the yearling heifers the next day,then the cows and calves the next. I will sell several head off before I work them again by myself.I am 57 years old and not in the best of health or physical shape,and am not looking forward to that again. :shock: :( :cboy:

To bad you werent in this area, I have quite a few good buddies and myself in college here that are willing to help any of the local farmers whenever they need it, it is tough working by yourself, dogs are alot of help though.

Springer- if I lived closer I would be glad to help for very little in return. I'm 52 but still in pretty good shape and between the two of us I'm sure we could get the job done. Just having the chance to work with the greatest breed on earth would be all the payment I would need. ;-) ;-)

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":1h3h465d said:
I just spent a week working my cattle and doing chores around the place.Unable to find anyone that wants to work,neighbors are too busy working or are too old to be of much help. I have 40 head, had to work them all by myself.I was very thankfull that I have Murray Greys and that they are so docile.Even at that they were a handfull. I worked my bulls one day,the yearling heifers the next day,then the cows and calves the next. I will sell several head off before I work them again by myself.I am 57 years old and not in the best of health or physical shape,and am not looking forward to that again. :shock: :( :cboy:

Welcome to the "geriatric club"...lol. This year we have 32 longhorns to work, excluding a number of calves not old enough to be vaccinated, etc. Each of ours get 3-4 injections plus horn measuring, weighing on our digital scale, and hip height measurement. THIS year (Tuesday in fact) we're having two Vet assistants from our Vet's place come out and help us (do vaccinations & help work gates). Should get it done in not more than 3-4 hours. More expensive, yes; however, my sanity (and wife's) is "priceless".

;-)

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3tmloe29 said:

I work a cattle ranch by myself too. We have a 120 or so scattered though a couple of pastures and I do every thing including hay. I can relate do you have a school with FFA near by sometimes you can get help there. Or maybe place a ad?
A couple of good dogs are a great help too

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3nx79gs5 said:

I hear you on the bit about people not wanting to work. It's a shame we live as far apart as we do, Mike, I would have been happy to help you. :) :)

You need to use the great motivator when you need a big task completed. FOOD !! We spend an entire day cutting and stacking wood for some elderly folks and all we ask is lunch. The lady still cooks on a wood stove and man is it good!!! Surprising how many guys show up to cut/split/stack just for some homemade biscuits, gravy and bucket steak.

my wife and i and sometime my soninlaw work our 300 brood cows (brangus) and all the calves in 2days i know how hard help is to find. :cboy::

Latest posts