Hilarious

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm with you on this. There are lots of questions I have. If I live long enough I'm bound to find the answers to some. One I will never know the answer to is "Why we have to change the way kids do math when the old way has been working fine for who knows how long?" I can barely understand this common core crap. And some of it I can't figure out still.

All this "new math" is for, is to give teachers a new way to "secure their job" since an average normal person, can't hardly figure out how to do it.
I'm with JMJ and Kenny, totally absurd.

farmerjan said:
All this "new math" is for, is to give teachers a new way to "secure their job" since an average normal person, can't hardly figure out how to do it.
I'm with JMJ and Kenny, totally absurd.

That take is absurd. :bs:

Having taught for several years, professionally, I hated it as much as anyone else.

I can barely remember how to do written math. Can't remember long division at all.

I do however remember an argument I had with teacher in grade 4 about using a calculator versus using paper and pen. I said it was pointless to waste time learning to do it when a calculator does it in fraction of time. She maintained, well you won't always have a calculator.

Then in grade 9, teacher always wanted calculator used. Speed and efficiency is the name of the game in the future. And written long division is only as good as the individual's math skills. Pen and paper is a thing of the past.

Flash forward almost 30 years. I always have had a calculator on me, hardly ever paper.

I think it's good to learn how to do it to get the concept behind how it works, beyond that, use a calculator

I'm baffled by how many times people screw up by factors of 1000.. million, billion, trillion.. doesn't matter

I heard a local weed growing outfit lost 1.8 billion in the last year.. I just can't fathom losing that much money that fast even if you tried... wondering if there's a math error there

I have taught my grandkids the times tables to 12 x 12.

It is pure memorization but totally handy - someday the computer or cell phone or calculator will not be available.

It is useful and has saved my butt while doing math in my head delivering bombs at 540 knots and 200 above ground. Screw it up and you die. Mental math capability is important.

Teach your kids today and they will thank you forever.

Home schooling is far more effective when it comes to reading, writing, history, geography and math. Make a game out of it and the kids will learn way more than they ever will in a modern day school

My best to all

L

sstterry said:
I don't even know how the new math works, but my daughter is graduating next month with a Masters in Math Education. I will ask her tonight when I get in from work.
Can you also ask her who came with the 1st example in Hoss's pic and why? I guess this is mandatory in schools?

My sister's daughters are teachers and said they teach it both ways.

My daughter says that the new way is to teach "number sense". According to her, it teaches students to split up the numbers, so the multiplication is easier (easier to multiply 300 times 20 than 312 times 23, etc.). The multiplication and then the addition of the numbers is "easier" than carrying values and remembering to put zeroes as place holders. She says the new way helps in teaching the foundation of conceptual understanding of what is really happening in the old way. But she says, in her opinion, it's perfectly fine to (and should) teach the old way once they understand the concept.

As to the question is it mandatory, if it is in the standards then it is mandatory, if it isn't in the standards it is teacher dependent. She adds that she is secondary education so she can't be 100% sure since this math would be elementary.

PS...my daughter wrote this response, it is above my pay grade.

Logar said:

It is pure memorization but totally handy - someday the computer or cell phone or calculator will not be available.

It is useful and has saved my butt while doing math in my head delivering bombs at 540 knots and 200 above ground. Screw it up and you die. Mental math capability is important.

Home schooling is far more effective when it comes to reading, writing, history, geography and math. Make a game out of it and the kids will learn way more than they ever will in a modern day school

My best to all

L

One day your a ground pounder leading a seal team because no american would lead it, the next a jet pilot. Mercy me.

TexasBred said:
Logar said:

My best to all

L

One day your a ground pounder leading a seal team because no american would lead it, the next a jet pilot. Mercy me.

Let's get something straight. I never led a Seal Team. I never said I did that.

The guy I replaced was a Canadian who refused to do the job. He went out to the site and returned the next day stating it was too dangerous. I volunteered.

The team consisted of 3 Canadians and 9 Americans. We are all still close today.

One is dead of cancer. Five others are fighting it right now. They are all honorable men and I love them dearly

However I did not start off on the ground.

I started as a pilot in the military - flew the Buffalo aircraft for 5 years in a Search and Rescue role. I was based in Comox on Vancouver Island. It is a dandy aircraft for that role.

Here is a short video of a short field landing on a windy day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3-L5PQ7npI

Then I flew the F-5 for two years at 419 Squadron in Cold Lake Alberta. The video shows some of the typical things we did. All rockets are being fired on the live range at Cold Lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY7MCcXMV78

From there I went to the F-18. I was on course 5. Our course was close to the first group to fly the Hornet in Canada and flew them until 1997. About ten years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2SVQofofwU

I was injured flying that aircraft and maintained my pilot status and worked as a ground guy until I initially released in 1998.

I rejoined in 2007 and was stationed in Israel and then Lebanon and then Syria. From there I did my last tour on the front lines on the ground in Afghanistan as the Afghan Army Camp Commander in Logar Province just out side of Bagrami. A rather interesting mission in which I personally led more than 200 patrols outside the wire - most of them half and half missions - motor vehicle - to foot patrol and then returning by motor vehicle.

Yeah I have had an interesting career but now I have titanium rods on both sides of my spinal column - held in place with three and a half inch screws in each vertebra along the length of the rods. That is another story for another time. I am able to walk without a limp unless I walk real fast. If I try to run it is a bit of a joke - cannot do that very well.

Took a total of 13 hours on the operating table to put me back on my feet.

There are many things you do not know about me and the guys I worked with but I can say it was an adventure.

The person I respect the most is my wife. I left her home alone for nearly five years of tours and she hung in there. We will be 41 years married this month. We started out poor and I actually said these words on our wedding day because we could not afford rings;

"With this handshake I thee wed"

Yeah, I did.

Be safe. Happy Easter.

Best to all,

Logar (once known as Bez)

One thing I want to say - "I /we just did our jobs".

In truth I would go again in a heart beat. I believe that anyone who wore a uniform would. Truth is I have a lot of memories that are wonderful and I have a lot that wake me sweating.

I do not know if I regret that I wrote what I wrote or not. Perhaps I should not have opened that door to the folks who read it but now you know.

I would rather that we remember the true heroes. The ones who never came home.We all know a few.

Please enjoy your weekend and all the best from my house to your house,

L

Latest posts