Highland question

Help Support CattleToday:

A. Hasbeen

Reaction score
Hello there everyone.
I just traded some Russian hogs for some Highland cattle on Monday. The trade was for a cow calf pair and a young bull.(these cattle were part of a large free range fold that had very little contact with people)
We currently have Corriente cattle, but I have wanted Highlanders for a while now, and this seemed the time to get a few, so here is the situation, we had the 3 in the corral this evening, and I wanted to move the cow and her calf out with the corriente, and keep the bull to off in a different pasture. The cow went out the gate just fine, but in my attempt to keep the bull in I also kept the calf in, while I was trying to be easy and calm and sort the bull off into a separate pen, I had that little calf (bull calf) keep running at me, head down trying to hit me and roll me on the ground. I have heard that the highlanders are reasonably gentle, but this was unexpected to say the least, the bull well he was a bit pushy with me also.
I have worked with cattle in the same manner as I did with these highlanders and never had a 75 pound calf try me like this little fella did.
Is this common with Highland cattle that are pretty much left on their own?

The Cow I was told would be around 3 or 4 years old, I am guessing that the calf would be around a month old, and the bull I am guessing is a yearling, but I do not know for sure, he has horns about 8 inches long and would weigh in about 500 to 600.
These cattle are not in the best condition due to poor pasture.
well thanks in advance

Some Highlands that have little or no contact with people can get pretty wild....

Most are pretty laid back and easy to handle...

If ya got some wild ones...Beef em! Don't bother foolin with em , Start with some that have been around people, Bet you see a big difference.

wow sounds like you have had a time with these guys, im new to the highlands, mine have been around people/trucks/equipt. i would hate to be around some that have just been "turned loose" becarefull, they know how to use those horns, mine are tag-a-longs, they follow me thru the field, watching what ever is going on. they dont seem to miss a thing. Rose

How long did you have these animals in the pen at your place?

The way I'm reading this, it sounds like you got them to your pen and tried to release them into your herd immediately. Never a good idea, in my opinion. If, as you say, these cattle had little contact with humans, it would have been better to keep them penned together for about 2 weeks or longer, with daily contact with you, to get them used to you being around.

I got my highland about a month ago. They didn't have alot of contact with people, but they learned quickly we were where the food came from and settled right in. We kept them seperate in a smaller pasture and just kind of hung around with them. (Not in the pasture, just outside so they could see us) We taught them to come when we rang a bell, so now when they hear the bell they come running from wherever they are. The little ones panic when seperated from their moms and will do anything to get back to them. Including go through the electric and barb wire fences. (At the one part not close enough together to keep babies in.) Now all the cows, horses, and goats are together and doing well.

Hey, this brings back not so fond memories! We bought a preg. cow, her own last years heifer and kept them for a couple of years. (Yes, I'd like to testify, they do know how to use those horns!) Momma wasn't all that bad, heard she started out life in a petting zoo, the heifer was so wild, never did get her halter broke, and she had to be shot with a high powered anesthetic gun just to give her vaccinations. The old cow calved in late May, the little bull calf was born with so much hair he near died from heat prostration and pneumonia, was on anti-biotic shots for six weeks. Needless to say, we had to bottle raise him in the cool barn, momma would not come in. He grew up to be the absolutly tamest bull I've ever seen, he just had NO respect for fences. I guess all that hair was a good insulator. Had to go looking for him to lead home just about every day, or everytime he heard a cow bawl somewheres else. Since he was de-horned and registered, he brought a really good price at the spring sale, guess I kinda miss the little critter. Good luck with the highlanders, just don't breed them to calve in warm weather!
paso

This is the picture of the little bull, I am just guessing that he is about a year old. I think the plan is to put a little groceries in him, and eat him.
http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto ... puser/3802

This is a picture of the Cow and her little bull calf.

http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto ... puser/3802

She could use some groceries as well.
I would like to get some opinions on age of this cow, we were told she was about 3 or 4, but we think whe is older than that.
we guess that her calf is about a month old.

thanks

I am guessing do to her horns, I have one that looks about the same, she is probly about 6. They usually don't breed the highlands until they are 2 because they mature so slowly. I would say you are right on the bull about 1 yr.

RAWCJW":bgb5ry4b said:
I am guessing do to her horns, I have one that looks about the same, she is probly about 6. They usually don't breed the highlands until they are 2 because they mature so slowly. I would say you are right on the bull about 1 yr.

I would never think that calf is one year old - but no matter what the age - ship it - asap.

No need to deal with trouble.

Bez!

Bez!":uqaw0lny said:
RAWCJW":uqaw0lny said:

I would never think that calf is one year old - but no matter what the age - ship it - asap.

No need to deal with trouble.

Bez!

you figure he is younger than a year than? more around weening age than?

I have a steer that was 1 yr jan 21 He is heavier than your's but appears to be about same build and maybe alittle longer horns. I sure think he would be right around 1 . but I am just guessing, I have a 2 yr old and his horns are alot bigger .You might ask ore rancher to take a look?

Your little bull is a bit under a year. From the looks of him his last owner should be shot! For a short yearling Highland bull to be that thin he must of had next to nothing to eat! If you were to shave off his hair he would look half starved! How people get off treating animals like that is beyond me :mad: .

Your cow has a nice rack on her and from the looks of her calf she will make you a good mama if given a chance.( and some eats.)