Highland Breeding Question about young Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

ufo_chris

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 7 month old Heifer ,a 7 1/2 month bull and my Herd Bull ,their Daddy, all together with their Moms also. I'm wondering when I should seperate the Heifer to not get her pregnant(too young AND Dad and Brother)
I have heard from several people around here that Highlands mature so slowly that you don't have to separate,that they will breed when ready ,at the right time.
Well ,I normally would not believe that but my one cow was with a bull since she was 15 month and did not get pregnant till she was 2 1/2 years old (no cysts or nothing, had her checked).
So what do you Highland Guys say?
Thanks for any info!
Chris

Hi Floyd,Thanks for your answer. You mean they are with bulls from day one but still don't have their first calf at 3?
That sounds like what my last Heifer did ,well she wasn't with the bull before 15 month but it took her a while.
My Vet told me I should separate them very soon but he's used to regular cattle.
Thanks so much,Chris

Mistakes happen so heifers are kept separated then bred at 27 mo or so.

Some may breed earlier. It's just how I roll.

Oh ,I thought they were with the bulls,that was what I was asking orginally,if it's safe to keep them with them at a younger age.
Thanks,Chris